Tree ID- pecan or black walut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The leaves are very similar and the tree was dormant so I could not really find any of the fruit except for a half rotten one, which I am assuming is a pecan. It definitely did not look like a round green walnut from a juglans californica.

I just wanted to be 100% certain that it is not a black walnut because they are protected in LA. 1100 potatoes just for a permit here to remove one! And who knows if they will even accept it though the tree appears to have been hacked by 50% a few years ago.
pecan pecan pecan let it cure good if your going to use it for firewood!

pecan pecan pecan let it cure good if your going to use it for firewood!

why is that---just wondering cause don't have those trees around hear---I mostly cut (cottonwood- hedge- locust -mulberry- maples- oaks and black walnuts)---you guys are talking for-en trees to me fore the most part

Here is a pic of some serious smoking going on. The guy with the apron on is a buddy of mine that caters BBQ. We are doing a wedding here. I had pics of the smokers and meat but I deleted them. We had three side by side smokers going in front of the outbuilding here and had another huge smoker that you pull behind a truck going as well. I supplied all the wood for this function (Pecan):

8989d59262244bc09288bb5dcac0bb99.jpg

What!

do you have to pay that much to cut a black walnut even if the tree is dead and roting or falling
Dont think ive ever heard of having to pay to cut any tree down especially a black walnut i have a butt load of them on my place and there kind of a pain in the rear you can forget about keeping a sharp mower blade a round here they attract lightning big time i think they must have better grounding properties than others and i have a jack russel that chews the crap out of the shells and nuts and is still as arnry as ever!

Dont think ive ever heard of having to pay to cut any tree down especially a black walnut i have a butt load of them on my place and there kind of a pain in the rear you can forget about keeping a sharp mower blade a round here they attract lightning big time i think they must have better grounding properties than others and i have a jack russel that chews the crap out of the shells and nuts and is still as arnry as ever!

my boxer eats the black walnut wood after I split it up fore the fire stove she also likes hedge

Black Walnut is being protected because of Thousand Cankers Disease.
Google the Disease and you'll see why it's being protected. The disease made the jump from Colorado all the way to Knoxville Tn this last summer and now many midwestern and eastern states have bans to transport over county and or state lines.

As far as it's value. It's still highly valued, especially in the overseas markets.
Veneer logs can go from 3-9 dollars a board foot. The rest of it goes from .50 to 1.30 a board foot. Urban logs seldom qualify as Veneer logs due to nails, bird eyes, etc, etc.

Must be a different kind

---there are what we have been calling black walnut trees all over this area, I would imagine every farm has them. And you see a lot of people with little signs at the end of their driveways "black walnuts for sale". I have never heard of them effecting any horses. And I know they don't effect the cattle here..but I have never seen them eat them either, but they will eat hickory nuts. Still interesting to read that though. I eat a few of them but it is tedious picking the nutmeat out, we've had back to back to back to back summer droughts, it has hurt all the nut producers. We get the various nuts, but they are all wimpy, not much there. Our pecan in the yard though seems to do OK, but it still isn't up to snuff like it should be.

I don't understand either I have seen cows horses and my dogs eat black walnuts and the wood from them also with no ill effects i don't understand it either but because so many say that they are toxic I try to use caution

Back