Tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggiewoodbutchr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I took this down for my brother a few weeks back. Just wondering what it was.

These are the best pics I have showing the leaves and bark.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Any help??

Thanks in advance.:cheers:

I took this down for my brother a few weeks back. Just wondering what it was.

These are the best pics I have showing the leaves and bark.

Any help??

Thanks in advance.:cheers:

That is a tree!!! :jester:

sorry..... couldn't help it,

need some close ups of the leaves... the green things.....:buttkick:

I thought Hackberry when I looked at the pictures before reading Elmore's post, so put me down as a "second" to his ID.

Sugarberry may be more common in the South...but if that were up here, I'd call it hackberry without too much reservation based on those pictures.

And you need a name to mill it?

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Nope. Already done!:D Well... just a few turning blanks... it was only about 12" at the stump.:givebeer:

3rd's on it being a sugarberry. Celtis Laevigata

I did a little more research based on the responses and this is it. My bro has a few more trees in his yard that are definitely what I know as Hackberry. This one was just a little different.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
:cheers:

Someone mentioned Celtis laevigata (we call it Southern Hackberry) - that's one of our few native trees out here, very rare now, wouldn't I love to see one that size!
I see you have the nasty chinese fan palms too, how invasive are they where you are? Here they are public enemy #2 (Mexican Pepper is #1)

Someone mentioned Celtis laevigata (we call it Southern Hackberry) - that's one of our few native trees out here, very rare now, wouldn't I love to see one that size!

That is funny. Here sugarberry is kind of a trash tree. It grows up along fence rows and the wood splits apart really easily and they do not compartmentalize very well. They are good for wildlife though and bottomland hardwood habitat. I'm suprised they wouldn't flourish anywhere you put them.

I see you have the nasty chinese fan palms too, how invasive are they where you are? Here they are public enemy #2 (Mexican Pepper is #1)

The palms were planted for landscaping by the previous HO. No touble from them that I know of...

I'll have to defer to the real arborists that have already posted.

But I would have said it was a Prickly Ash (Tickletounge in Louisiana) or Zanthoxlum parvum

I'll have to defer to the real arborists that have already posted.

But I would have said it was a Prickly Ash (Tickletounge in Louisiana) or Zanthoxlum parvum

That's funny... I had never heard of "tickletounge" in my life until last week when my Dad spotted one on one of our job sites. I actually tried it which was interesting. They should have called it numbtounge, IMO.:)

Last edited:
IMO you would have the same numb tounge from the tree in the picture.

I'm still waitin' for one of the guys to tell me why I'm wrong about by tree ID. :)

Prickly Ash ???

IMO you would have the same numb tounge from the tree in the picture.

I'm still waitin' for one of the guys to tell me why I'm wrong about by tree ID. :)

I don't mean to split hairs with the Log Splitter but according to what I have read about Zanthoxlum parvum, it grows up to about 6 feet tall and has compound leaves. It's a bush from Texas and a much better one than what most of us have been experiencing for a number of years.
It's a bush.

I don't mean to split hairs with the Log Splitter but according to what I have read about Zanthoxlum parvum, it grows up to about 6 feet tall and has compound leaves. It's a bush from Texas and a much better one than what most of us have been experiencing for a number of years.
It's a bush.

See Elmore, that's what I get for trying to act like I knew something. I have a tree like that on my place, and the old man up the road calls it a Tickletounge, and the bark does numb your up. So when this thread got started I did a search and came up with Zanthoxlum parvum . Since I know my tree is not a bush I did another search and came up with Zanthoxylum clava-herculis .

That's why us farmboys should not be allowed to have computers. :)

BTW, I don't advise anyone to do a Google search on 'tickletounge'. Most of what come back has nothing to do with trees. :)

As for the Bush from Texas, I'll keep my opinions to myself. :) :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back