Tree/ ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PA Plumber

PA Plumber

Addicted to ArboristSite
Could I get some help with the ID on this tree, please?

Did a small job for a neighbor. Couldn't see wasting the wood.

My guess was some sort of Hawthorn.

Following are a few pics...

Whatever it is, is it decent to burn?

Thanks.

Accidently hit the return button. Pictures will be posted soon.

PA Plumber

PA Plumber

Addicted to ArboristSite
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

boostnut

boostnut

ArboristSite Guru
Let me be the first to say that I have no idea what it is but sure is cool looking. I think I'd find someone to spin it on a lathe and make a really unique looking bowl.

PA Plumber

PA Plumber

Addicted to ArboristSite
Box elder, I've only burned it at the campground and usually green but it seems like any other lowland Maple.
http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/ashleaf-maple.html

Thanks.

I wondered about it being of the Maple family. Had lots of "helicopters" hanging near the leaves.

As far as firewood value, I have burned some Box Elder and it would remind me of Silver Maple. Good wood for early fall and spring time burns.

KsWoodsMan

KsWoodsMan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Let me be the first to say that I have no idea what it is but sure is cool looking. I think I'd find someone to spin it on a lathe and make a really unique looking bowl.

Just one ? :monkey:

You find the right guy and he would probably buy it as it sits. We just dont find any around here and one turner I know says he will buy all I can get at 3X firewood price if he is the one that bucks it. I still have to load and haul but "It will be well worth (my) time".

A quick way to peddle that wood ( by the piece ) is on EBay. Do some searches and see what wood with character is going for and put a few pieces up for bid. might help to seal the ends with something to keep it from checking very quickly. You sir have a nice find there on your hands.

PA Plumber

PA Plumber

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just one ? :monkey:

You find the right guy and he would probably buy it as it sits. We just dont find any around here and one turner I know says he will buy all I can get at 3X firewood price if he is the one that bucks it. I still have to load and haul but "It will be well worth (my) time".

A quick way to peddle that wood ( by the piece ) is on EBay. Do some searches and see what wood with character is going for and put a few pieces up for bid. might help to seal the ends with something to keep it from checking very quickly. You sir have a nice find there on your hands.

Man, that is a good idea. The stuff I have here is somewhat spongy in the middle. Isn't nice and solid looking like what dustytools has.

I'll try to find a couple of decent ones, but the carpenter ants are all through the trunk and the tops of the branches are rotten.

All three trees were in kind of bad shape.

Latest posts