Tree Planting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Bowler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My most important friends old horse died this last week in Cerrillos , NM.
Cerrillos is a plateau that is very windy in the spring, snow a little in the fall/winter. Summer is what it is.
I would like to insatall a memorial tree for the horse.
Besides Pinoins, and junipers, does anyone know of a unique tree that would live in that area?
I am aware of irregation supplements available.
What type of trees do you think could work in this area.
No Poplars-No Cottonwoods.

Must have been some horse.

Will the tree be planted where the horse is buried? That would be kinda cool.

Sort of a way to let the horse live on in a sense.

Beats pushing up daisies.

I usually recomend a small grove/clump of single stem trees for memorial plantings.

This way you a lower the chance of failure and the grove is the focus, not a single tree, so it is easier to cull and replace single trees that do not make it. The grove is more likely to be there for generations to come then 20-30 years.

It also allows smaller starting stock and more people can add trees.

Did the horse like apples? Maybe a clump of disease resistant apples on hardy rootstock? Having the memorial tie into something that the is a memory of "the departed" works better then a good native species. Unless, that is, your friend has fond memories of riding through the coastal live oaks with this staunch old friend.

horse trees

Well if you have to dig a hole that big you may as well plant a tree in it too! Here in Paonia Colorado where I live there are 6 large ash and walnut trees which were planted in the burial holes of 6 horses which died in a barn fire 100 yrs ago. Hack berry (celtis occidentalis) may be a good choice of species to look at.

that is the same thing I did for my english pointer a few years back, Buck. I burried him in an open field that often had coveys of quail he would point. I planted a live oak right on top of him and planted 1000 long leaf pines in the field. I wish I had some insight to your habitat, but I do not. It is a wonderful way to pay tribute to a beloved animal who gave years of loyal service.:clap:

Latest posts

Back