Planting trees back in dead trees place?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I unfortunately killed a Japanese Maple near the entryway to my house, and now I’m trying to replant next to where the stump was ground down, about 14” off center. I put a sapling in the spot and it never did grow, leaves got toasty in august, and now appears that it’s dead. I’ve heard some old timers say never to plant a tree in the spot of a dead one. I’m curious if this advice holds true, and I’d you are forced to plant in an area where something died what kinds of accommodations/considerations need to be followed? I want a tree back here obviously….surely there’s something I’m not doing right?

I’d let the old stump rot away acting as compost for the new tree. I’m sure that’s how nature intended it to happen once and a while.

If the old tree died a natural death, then it is generally unwise to plant the same species, as it will likely succumb to whatever pathogen might still be hanging around in the soil. If you killed it with herbicide, then a significant amount of time might be required for the residual herbicide levels to diminish.

On the other hand, if you crashed the tree with some variety of physical abuse, you should be able to replant in that area without concern. Next time you plant a tree, consider giving it some water. Those transplanted trees don't have hardly enough roots left on them to survive. Imagine, if you will, that your legs were cut off at the hip. Then you were carefully and gently delivered to your new job and told to "GET TO WORK".

Without some tender care, you wouldn't make it long in a heat wave, either.

I think it may have succumbed to some sort of blythe. A couple oak trees around it had some dead branches and it started getting dead branches also. Simultaneously I pulled a DA move and cut a big limb off it while it wasn’t dormant. It died but in sections and it took 2 years to completely die so I don’t know

I think it may have succumbed to some sort of blythe. A couple oak trees around it had some dead branches and it started getting dead branches also. Simultaneously I pulled a DA move and cut a big limb off it while it wasn’t dormant. It died but in sections and it took 2 years to completely die so I don’t know

IF your oak trees were dying from oak blight, that will be very unlikely to affect a Japanese maple. Many fungal diseases do affect a wide variety of tree species.

It's probably too late to get a good diagnosis on the dead maple tree, eh?

If you really liked that Japanese maple, plant another one and see how it goes. Try to avoid buying a large and expensive variety, though.
Take a good long read on this page: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/japanese-maple/japanese-maple-problems.htm

If any of the canker or antrhacnose symptoms seem familiar, you should probably consider planting something different. There are probably nursery varieties that have improved resistance to those disease. Shop around and let us know!

im not sure how close to your house 'near" is but i wouldnt plant any trees within 20 feet of my house.
It doesn’t bother me as long as it’s a small ornamental tree and it doesn’t go near the foundation or a clean out. I’m dealing with right now on a fixer upper the previous owners planted right next to the foundation….stupid.

IF your oak trees were dying from oak blight, that will be very unlikely to affect a Japanese maple. Many fungal diseases do affect a wide variety of tree species.

It's probably too late to get a good diagnosis on the dead maple tree, eh?

If you really liked that Japanese maple, plant another one and see how it goes. Try to avoid buying a large and expensive variety, though.
Take a good long read on this page: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/japanese-maple/japanese-maple-problems.htm

If any of the canker or antrhacnose symptoms seem familiar, you should probably consider planting something different. There are probably nursery varieties that have improved resistance to those disease. Shop around and let us know!
I think this helps I did see some little red bugs on the tree and sprayed it with bifen, may have been too late..🥲

Latest posts

Back