Tree problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagibson81

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is where I should post this, but here we go. This pine fell at my parents house yesterday afternoon. It damaged the porch and some of the wall in the living room, but it could have been worse. It is 23" diameter at the base and about 50' tall. My dad has three other pines about the same size that he is going to push over with his dozer so it doesn't happen again. Dad said that he would like to sell the logs and put the money toward repairs. Here are my questions: Would someone even bother coming to get four logs, and would they pay for them? I was thinking that we could have them milled into lumber since dad is building a house on some other property that my parents own. Does anyone know someone in central Arkansas that could help us? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 268876

That is what I figured. Would it be worth having them milled?

You won't save any money vs. buying lumber. However, if the circumstances are right, it could be worth it:
*it has some "meaning" to say: "this lumber came from a tree on our property that took out the old porch".
*You want knoty pine flooring or paneling (I would not use something with that many knots for structural lumber)
*You want the experience of working with something from stump to finished product.

Well white pine isn't used much in home construction, especially not floor, you could have siding milled out of it, but bees will eat it up.

Your dad's homeowners insurance should pay for the home repairs and the tree removal, and if the trees are worth anything a bulldozer will not be the way to put them down.
The clean up will cost your parents more than the logs are worth, so unless they are an issue I would leave them.

In NC the only way you can use unstamped(graded) lumber in a home is if it is harvested off of the property where the home is being constructed, still the fuel cost too and from the mill will eat you up.
Lumber would need to be hacked to dry. You may be able to get it dressed into paneling of some kind cheap and use it that way.

In addition to the trees being less than desirable for lumber due to the knots, many mills will not handle logs culled from residential areas due to the probability that there are foreign objects embedded in the wood. Things such as nails, eye hooks, railroad spikes, wire, etc. could be in the wood and will knock the inserts out of a circular blade or ruin a bandsaw blade.

Back