Tree reccomendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyrip

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So, now that we've taken out a dying mature silver maple, we're in the market for a new deciduous tree to replace it. We live in zone six, and we'd like to put in a really great specimen tree that is strong wooded. Any reccomendations? I've studied up on how to properly plant and care for a young tree. We'll have to start with a relatively young tree because we don't have the money to buy a more mature one.

Wow--Hackberry's latin name alone gets it points (I am a Celticist). I'm a huge fan of Pin Oaks as well. I'm hesitant to plant maples because we still have three mature maples in the yard, and I tend towards greater diversification, though sugar maples and red maples are both beautiful. Are they made of sturdier stuff than silver maples? I'm not familiar with either the Dawn Redwood or the Zelkova--what are they like?

I'm also interested in Lace Bark Elms--any thoughts on those?

I'm hesitant to add any more conifers--we have a stand of 10 cypresses at the back of the lot, another on the side of the house, and some mammoth white pines. So, I'm looking for more fall color and really like the idea of planting natives, though I'm not set on it.

Hi Amyrip,How large of a tree do you want and do you want it to grow fast?To ansnser your previous question,Red and Sugar Maples are better than the Silver.The Silver grows very fast but is weak,it's roots tend to grow along the top of the soil and thier fall color is poor compared to the other Maples.If you want to something different along with the above suggestions The white and red oaks are nice (and grow very large)but don't grow as fast as the red Maples.Good Luck and Happy planting!

Latest posts

Back