Tree Respect

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTreeSpyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
For different projects i came up with this old picture; seprately found the quote below. Where talking crosscut saw and axe guys on this massive giant for days.

attachment.php

"Another freshly cut redwood tree.
When you put your hands on a
freshly cut stump you can feel the warmth
of the formerly living ancient one." -Steam Reel Photo Archive

Can you see the weeping "Man of the Woods" weeping in the loss of this ancient one?

Last edited:
Originally posted by MasterBlaster
I wouldn't say he was weeping... more like pondering... :alien:
He does seem to be feelin the pain, but mainly thinking about the future...

"Hmmm, now how much time and toil will it take to sprout back up to 350' again? :confused:

And will these idiot humans :Monkey:

keep our planet alive long enough for me to do it?:blob4:

I just realized that we have a state forestry board.

It looked like something I'd like to "sneak" my way onto. It does take approval beyond just the governor.

I'd need to take a few forestry classes first. In fact, I'd like to take a few.

The reason I say "sneak" is that there is no side that I stand with. I certainly love forests, and would like to even initiate future old growth in some spots, but I'm not an extremist nor sentimental either.

At the moment, it looks like the forest industry may be represented most heavily on that board.

I think there is hope that more forests will be set aside. Especially here as the timber industry becomes a less dominant economic force. Also, as more people understand how important the natural world is to quality of life.

38% of Oregon voters checked yes to measure 34 which could have set aside 50% of state forestland in 2 counties. That wouldn't have happened when timber was king.

From "This was Sawmilling"

Last edited:
Mb and John, I think humans can stop fouling their own nest. Most of the time I think they will; the possibilities are even greater than the perils.

MD does your state have an urban forest council? i've been on ours, and am running again to serve. Their misson is to promote the value of trees to citizens. You may be more ready for that one than the other--can you send a link about it?

Originally posted by TheTreeSpyder
How much fouling will Nature put up with? In the end, will She need the trees or us more?
She ain't that selective, KC. If one goes, then the other will be gone too.

Don't see the connection with timber harvest.

Guy, It's not the individual trees that are so important, but the forest system. Humans are focused on what they can take. Logging pictures show the taking in terms everyone can understand.

Got a backroad tour of Redwood National Forest in '87. One of my Dad's fraternity brothers was high up. We kept driving through newly replanted clearcut hillsides. I remember the funny colored earth, and all the erosion nets. Kept wondering where all the big trees were. Now think that was the point.

Even skirting the politics of timber-ing;

That is an awesome tree, taking awesome effort from the men.

i wonder what stories it would have to tell if it could speak; especially allthe things it has taught not being able to do so.

The grain of the leathered hide, standing in mute testimony to some of it's trials and tests as it outsmarted all else in size and duration. The picture shows the face about to be pulled, so the old warrior now taken.

attachment.php

Somehow this pace seemed more fair, for what it took.

(hey Ken, this ain't whining, just a request; could you please allow me the choice of when your attachments arrive?  thanks)

Latest posts

Back