Tree rotting at old limb cuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don1984

Reaction score
Hello.

I have two very old limb cuts that are rotting out and are currently about basketball size deep. It's a 3 foot diameter tree. These holes sit with water constantly. I have taken out as much water and debris as possible and covered partially to prevent any of this rain from entering them. My question is what can be done to stop any further damage to the tree?

In the past I have used a spade bit on a drill to make angled drain holes. With one I had to redrill it after the bark healed over it.

Hello.

I have two very old limb cuts that are rotting out and are currently about basketball size deep. It's a 3 foot diameter tree. These holes sit with water constantly. I have taken out as much water and debris as possible and covered partially to prevent any of this rain from entering them. My question is what can be done to stop any further damage to the tree?

Fungi will not grow in an anaerobic environment. Leave the water be and the wood under the water will not rot. Drain it, cover it, etc. and it will quickly be colonized by fungus.

Very little other then trying to keep the tree healthy.

I believe draining the water probably does more harm than good.

It is very important that pruning does no harm to the main trunk of a tree. Large limb removals almost always result in areas that do not close and decay gets started.

Your tree could use a professional evaluation.

One with a time machine.

Nothing can be done to stop the decay The tree will compartmentalize (check out CODIT, research by Dr Alex Shigo) the decay as well as it can. Some species compartmentalize decay better than others. In this case I would be concerned about the load being carried above the weakened part. This should be checked by a competent professional on site.

Type of tree and photos would help. Locally, a large (7'dbh) historic sycamore is being removed due to weak branch attachments just below damage to the top that occurred many years ago. The branches look to be about 24" diameter and maybe 20+ feet long. Some are hollow.

Latest posts

Back