Tree Swells up Opposite Lean?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Bunions

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Today I got rid of a dying water oak a genius left butting against my blacktop driveway when it was built. It had bug holes in it big enough for your finger. It was about 12" thick three feet up. I am planning to get a company with machinery to come in and push some oaks over, but I don't want to push over trees close to pavement because I think the roots will lift the pavement when the trees fall. Better to remove them a piece at a time after the trunks are gone.

The tree seemed to be leaning in a direction I liked, so I cut a homeowner-grade notch on that side and then started a back cut. The saw got stuck in the back cut, so I had to pound a wedge in to get it out.

When the tree fell, it fell just as expected.

Is it normal for a tree to swell up and tighten a kerf on the side away from the lean? I had not seen that before.

I used a Makita cordless and a 10" cordless pole saw to fell the tree, but the Makita was not great for cutting the stump close to the ground, so I got the new 562XP out. That saw was the perfect choice for my property. Not too big, and it went right through the oak stump with a 24" bar.

The tree "sat back". One old, but great timber faller calls it "Sattin' Back." I'd suggest, and no way am I a faller, that pounding a falling wedge into your back cut might could, but in no way am I certain because this is a tree out in the internet void that cannot be seen, prevent your saw from getting pinched. Falling wedges are good and necessary things to keep handy. They come in some pretty nice colors.
Keep one or two handy. They usually fit in a back pocket.

From what I've witnessed in the woods, sometimes colorful language applied during the pounding of the wedge is required and helps keep sattin' back from becoming falling backwards.

A wedge would have worked. You are right about that. I used a wedge to get the saw out.

You have to see this from the perspective of an amateur with limited skills. I thought, "This tree is leaning this way, so it won't pinch the saw if I cut it on the other side." Then it pinched the saw, and I thought, "Maybe I can't tell which way a tree is leaning because I don't know what I'm doing." Then I cut the tree, and it fell right where I thought it would in the beginning.

Doesn't matter. I'll try to use wedges earlier in the future.

Especially on a heavier deciduous tree like a water oak the trunk doesn't tell the whole story, especially when it's leafed out. One or two lateral branches opposite the lean can easily counteract a 5 or 10 degree lean.
Exactly, even a 5 degree lean is enough to alter the direction of the fall. It's hard to see up in dense canopies making it hard to judge. I have to say I have been lucky in felling them where I want them to go.

Latest posts

Back