Tree vs water main saved by boring under n repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a job at my work. We had a medium good condition gum above a broken 4 inch water main. Debate, loose the tree $1000 to sox n stump or dig & slip line the main $4000. (which still needed to be fixed anyhow)
We did the math adding some tree usefull life & amenity $ value & found it was worth the cost.
Argument is we could plant a lot of new trees for 4K but as we are in bad drought and this area high vandalism it was dig n fix.
The job went well no significant roots or hindrance. A picture shows the slip line coupling in red they cost $800 each. A home water tapping feral is the copper piping and fitting. The picture of cut section 4 inch asbestos water main shows how thick these are. Asbestos? yeah we used this for water mains 30 years ago and they say we have the worlds second best water quality.
It took the 3 man crew most of a day in the rain. I turned up just as the sun came out, poor sods.

Nice pictures. Asbestos is an amazing material. Can it still be used for stuff in Austrailia or does it have to be disposed of and replaced with something else when it turns up?

I was always under the impression that its fine until its inhaled... i still have asbestos siding on 3 out of 4 sides of my house

I believe asbestos can no longer used for products that may be in contact with people, eg buildings, pipes & insulation. Unsure about other industrial uses. There is a long and sadly protracted legal dispute in OZ of affected dying vs. the manufactures. As above, if kept intact seems no problem its the loose fibers that are a hazard. Disposal of old homes or products with asbestos is a costly and very OH&S controlled event down here.
Heres a link that may help.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/asbestos

Asbestos story gets worst news just in.
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...-for-carpet-underlays-book-20090822-eu18.html

Back