Trees to plant near septic systems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dudrew

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Built a house in the country about a year and a half ago. Want to plant a tree, if possible, about 15 feet from my drainfield. Have read alot of literature on trees and virtually all speak about what trees NOT to plant (like poplars, maples, etc.) because of invasive root systems. But I have yet to find any literature that will tell what trees I CAN plant near drainfields. Have spoken with many individuals on the subject, including local "experts" and the answers vary from "It's a myth, you can plant any tree near a drainfield", (which I know is false), to "all trees must be planted a minimum of 30 feet from any drainfield".

Can anyone out there help me? Would really appreciate the advise, as I'm getting ready to plant trees in several locations around the property this fall and, if I can, would really like to plant one near my drainfield. Hope someone can help. Thanks!

I'd try to stay 30 feet away, if possible. If not, plant at the far end of the drain field away from the septic tank. Also, be sure to plant away from overhead and underground utilities.

well... the only "safe" tree might be a Christmas tree...the plastic kind:D

They have a lot of root barrier materials out now that allow drainage thru the weave, some use little packets of hormones or copper to stop roots from growing in a particular direction....check out the ads in Landscape Architecture magazine. The other key is your systems pipes. If you've got well sealed PVC lines & avoid compression cracks in them after they're installed, roots have a hard time getting in except in the leach field. The key there is to have installed good clean-outs so that if & when you need to rotor them you can without major excavation. Don't put any copper compunds down your drains though....had a lady do that then call me after all the trees died....oops. Somebody told her the stuff would kill roots....

Trees near drainfields

Thank you both for your response, I appreciate the feedback. Perhaps I should be more specific. The actual distance from the drainfield pipes is approx. 20 feet. I'd like to plant a small tree at about that distance, something like a Japanese Cherry Tree or Saucer Magnolia, that would reach a maximum height of 20-30 feet.

Given this additional information, would you still not recommend planting at that distance, even with a smaller tree? If you consider this distance to be less of a risk, what type of tree would you recommend? Or do you still consider the risk of drainfield failure too great?

Many thanks in advance for the advise!!

It's all a matter of degree. A small ornamental tree at 20 feet is much less of a potential problem than a Maple planted at 10 feet. Takes quite a few years for roots to grow 20 feet so I would say 'Go for it'. At least you have a little info on what to look for years down the road. If the tree gets a growth spurt in 12 years you will know why!:D

Another option is to mark the limit of the system and periodicly have a stump grinder cut a trench to control roots. At twenty feet from the base they should all be rather fine and not a problem it cutting. I say a stumper becuse they will tear roots less than a trencher or vibratory plow. Though the plow (cable burying machine) would be the less incasive to the landscape.

Thanks for advise!

Any ideas on what type of small tree would be best? I need something that likes full sun, can stand the heat, in clay soil (don't think its real heavy clay), and is relatively pest free, with branching growing to about 20 feet wide.

Thanks!

Back