Tried my ebay 372XP today, one question please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose5180

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got to really try my ebay 372XP today and was very impressed.
Love that saw, was a good purchase and did not disappoint.

One question for you fellas, when first started and even a bit after warmed up, if saw is idling and i rev it up to cut it stutters a bit before revving.
Once revved up it has great power and runs like a champ. Let it back to idle and it acts the same way. It would do this each time i started it for a few minutes then run better. If i shut down even for a few minutes it would start this stutter thing again.

Any suggestions? I put a new fuel filter on it and adjusted the carb. The saw came from somewhere in CA and i am @7100 ft. in Wyoming.
Think its elevation related? Not really a big deal more of an annoyance, but would like to find the problem.

Thanks for your suggestions!

When the weather gets cooler, you need to richen them up just a notch.

Might want to raise the idle speed a mite, too. Not enough that the clutch starts to engage.

High speed mixture might need some adjusting too. (Do this before the low-speed.)

1/8- 1/4 turn CCW on the L jet. If the high is set, leave it alone. Give it a little fuel until it "snaps" upon pressing the throttle. The idle may have to be turned down after that.

Tuning your carb is more of an art once you get the hang of it. But after you learn how to do it and what you're doing its like riding a bike and you'll never forget.

1/8- 1/4 turn CCW on the L jet. If the high is set, leave it alone. Give it a little fuel until it "snaps" upon pressing the throttle. The idle may have to be turned down after that.

If elevation difference is sufficient to mess up "L" adjustment, that's an annoyance.

If same for "H" adjustment, that's a big potential problem, Houston. Takes only minutes to check and rectify, and avoid melted metal. (Can it be gotten to 4-stroke?)

My craigslist 346XP ran like this, bogged like crazy from idle to WOT, but at WOT it ran like a banshee. Found the air intake wasn't bolted securely to the carb by the seller. Snugged the allen bolt down and the thing runs like a raped ape.

Just a thought, but double check all bolts and screws to be sure its all good and secure. You never know whats been done to a saw you didn't buy new yourself and it pays to spend a few minutes to make certain its all copasetic.

If elevation difference is sufficient to mess up "L" adjustment, that's an annoyance.

If same for "H" adjustment, that's a big potential problem, Houston. Takes only minutes to check and rectify, and avoid melted metal. (Can it be gotten to 4-stroke?)

I agree, I thought the op had purchased the saw from ebay and tested it out for the first time. I know that a lot of saws on ebay claim "may need retuned depending on elevevation". I would be more apt to suspect the saw was never tuned properly in the first place

Back