Tried my first (mild) muffler mod today...with mild results

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up an infamous poulan wildthing variant yesterday from CL for $30 with hopes of finding a light limbing saw for my 76 yr old Dad. Well this Predator model ended up being the 42cc version of the 2150 and I think it will be too heavy for him. He currently runs an 025 and I'll bet this saw is heavier! Its lack of AV really hurt it as well. I wish I still had my old 021 to give to him.
downsized_0318131613_zps2a1a8916.jpg

Oh well, I really wanted to finally try a muff mod without ruining one of my good saws so this one fit the bill. First thing I noticed is that this muffler seems really constricted and gets awfully hot. the full model number is 2150PR LE and I did notice some "California compliant" on there so I'm guessing that's why. Well I didn't want to get very crazy thinking I can always take more, and I don't want it insanely loud so I only opened up the 3 holes behind the screen to 1/4 inch each and punched another hole in the external "can" to about the originals size. I probably should have uncrimped the exhaust and opened up the internal holes too i suppose. The results with the same chain after I tuned it were only about a second or two(10 secs vs. 8 secs) in an 8 inch round but there was improvement. Throttle response is a little crisper too. And its not much louder but has a little meaner rumble at idle. I think I need to go back in for more! Any tips or suggestions are always appreciated. And try not to laugh at my hack work! I'm new to this! lol
downsized_0318131310_zpsb8173169.jpg

I just did a modified saw with that muffler. What you have there is a cat muffler and it is very restrictive. I put an older style muffler on with the shield/deflector that you have, and it worked great. There are a billion of the old style mufflers out there. What i ended up with is not ear-splitting loud either.

283795d1362963043-2013-03-10_11-22-38-1024-jpg

283796d1362963054-2013-03-10_11-33-56-1024-jpg

I just did a modified saw with that muffler. What you have there is a cat muffler and it is very restrictive.

I was afraid of that. First saw I've owned I believe with a cat muffler. Does the can in your pic have to be uncrimped to get at the internals or does it all come apart with the bolts? Where's the best place to get a noncat used exhaust? I'm tempted to pick one up. Thanks for the info! rep sent!

I was afraid of that. First saw I've owned I believe with a cat muffler. Does the can in your pic have to be uncrimped to get at the internals or does it all come apart with the bolts? Where's the best place to get a noncat used exhaust? I'm tempted to pick one up. Thanks for the info! rep sent!
It just bolts together, no crimps - the easiest muffler mod going! Lots of them on evilBay.

Ok Thanks! I'm on it!
I should have mentioned - don't get any of the shiny silver ones. I think there are three types - the early black ones, the ones with a cat like you have, and a later one that may not have a cat but is not as easy to modify.

I cut a notch around the back corner, and combined with the shield/deflector from the cat muffler it worked real well, allowing more flow around the back corner than the shield/deflector that comes with the early type - as well as protecting the chain brake handle from hot gases.

Back