Trim top of young ginko?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baymckays

Reaction score
Hello Experts, I am VERY excited to have my first ginko tree. We picked it up at Home Depot. We put it in wire basket planted and nothing happened, was about to dig up to return, 3BB284CE-4901-46C3-BE9B-05403F1CBB74.jpegand poof it started vigorously growing maybe 2 weeks ago. Never have I been more excited! Now I can’t sleep wondering if I should have trimmed the shape when it was dormant. See the obvious crink ? Crook? At top. I read here on ur pages that I should trim that sucker at bottom. Check. But advice on the top? Worry about it or not? I am wondering now too that the location might not be ideal in terms of disrupting the concrete walls?? Oh and from reading posts, I should be removing stake soon? Your advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• 0C369A9A-CBF2-4A22-A783-18066B6DBC0D.jpeg
    0C369A9A-CBF2-4A22-A783-18066B6DBC0D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 956A1CCC-98EA-4AF6-87F0-16FC46A45302.jpeg
    956A1CCC-98EA-4AF6-87F0-16FC46A45302.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Have you researched the size of your ginkgo when it reaches maturity?
Why would you place the root ball into a wire basket then plant it?
Dig it up, remove wire basket and replant in a location that has enough room and soil volume to support a large tree.

Have you researched the size of your ginkgo when it reaches maturity?
Why would you place the root ball into a wire basket then plant it?
Dig it up, remove wire basket and replant in a location that has enough room and soil volume to support a large tree.
We have a big problem with gophers and moles thus trying to protect roots. I was worried about location. Thanks for ur thoughts.

Back