Trimmed back some limbs yesterday. Rented a pole saw and used my NE 346XP!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYH1

Tacticle Chainsaw Operator.
Reaction score
Had to trim back some limbs that were getting close to my power lines. I had to rent a pole saw from the Home Depot. It was a Echo PPT-260. It was the first time I ever used a pole saw. It worked pretty well. We might have to look at a Husky or Stihl pole saw. My father said he might want to get one, so maybe we will.

I put a few more tanks through my NE 346XP. This little saw flat out rips! I cut one limb that was 7 inches or so in diameter. I cut up from the bottom about a 1/3 of the way though. Then I cut straight down from the top as fast as I could so it would cut through and fall straight down. I didn't want the end of the limb to swing back at me. It worked perfect. The limb feel horizontally to the ground. I was able to do this with a few different limbs. The saw cuts so fast with the 16" bar and 21LP chain that SawTroll and spike60 recommended. I couldn't be happier.

The Stihl HP Ultra oil doesn't smell to bad either. I used it for the first time yesterday. So far so good, looks like I found a new oil!

I might try a few loops of Stihl chain next. The Stihl dealer where I bought the HP Ultra oil from doesn't stock .325-.058 or 3/8-.058 chain. He said he can and will order anything I want though. I'm sure if I called around I could find a dealer that does stock them. These guys are good guys though so I'd just have them order it so I could buy from them. :)

+1

I agree on the 16" bar with 21LP . . . it is FAST!!!
I order my chains through my husky dealer and pay about $14-15 per loop.

AL :cheers:

trimming trees by power lines ??
Yeah, why not? Just pay attention to what you're doing and you'll be fine. I was...I did it yesterday and I'm here today.

are you nuts home depot pole saw??
They're the only ones that rent them out in my area. It worked pretty well actually.

tome to call a pro tom trees:dizzy:
I don't know what "tome" is. As far as calling a pro, why would I do that for something I can do myself? If I didn't think I could of done it myself I would have had my friend do it, or my cousin next time he was in town. What I did yesterday was a piece of cake! I had fun and was safe the whole time! :)

I order my chains through my husky dealer and pay about $14-15 per loop.

AL :cheers:
I can get Husky/Oregon chains from my Husky dealer as well. I just want to try a few loops of Stihl chain, one on my NE 346XP and one on my 365 to see how I like them. It's nothing that's gonna happen any time soon. I have extra loops for all three of my saws. I will try them though. :)

Last edited:

I like it a lot as well, but haven't tested 3/8" on the NE346xp yet, and 25RSC probably is better anyway - but hard/impossible to get locally here........:censored: :givebeer:

I hope that my foot will be fixed soon, so I can get around to actually do a bit more in the woods, next year.

Last edited:
NYH-1 Both of my 346 saws take 325, 50 ga NK chain. You should check your bar and see what it is. You could also get a 50 ga bar and run Stihl chain too!

Sure, but 95VP is no good on the NE346xp, even though it is on the 'ol 346xp and the 353.

:cheers:

I like it a lot as well, but haven't tested 3/8" on the NE346xp yet, and 25RSC probably is better anyway - but hard/impossible to get locally here........:censored: :givebeer:

I hope that my foot will be fixed soon, so I can get around to actually do a bit more in the woods, next year.

SawTroll
Here is a picture of your 13" bar on my 346. I like it! Used it on my 339xp too! Works well on both saws. Thank You!

p101004003ks6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

p101000205km7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

SawTroll
Here is a picture of your 13" bar on my 346. I like it! Used it on my 339xp too! Works well on both saws. Thank You! .....

Well, it was meant for the 339, not the 346....LOL

What chain did you use - it is meant to be run with 95VP.....

:cheers:

Last edited:
Had to trim back some limbs that were getting close to my power lines. I had to rent a pole saw from the Home Depot. It was a Echo PPT-260. It was the first time I ever used a pole saw. It worked pretty well. We might have to look at a Husky or Stihl pole saw. My father said he might want to get one, so maybe we will.

I put a few more tanks through my NE 346XP. This little saw flat out rips! I cut one limb that was 7 inches or so in diameter. I cut up from the bottom about a 1/3 of the way though. Then I cut straight down from the top as fast as I could so it would cut through and fall straight down. I didn't want the end of the limb to swing back at me. It worked perfect. The limb feel horizontally to the ground. I was able to do this with a few different limbs. The saw cuts so fast with the 16" bar and 21LP chain that SawTroll and spike60 recommended. I couldn't be happier.

The Stihl HP Ultra oil doesn't smell to bad either. I used it for the first time yesterday. So far so good, looks like I found a new oil!

I might try a few loops of Stihl chain next. The Stihl dealer where I bought the HP Ultra oil from doesn't stock .325-.058 or 3/8-.058 chain. He said he can and will order anything I want though. I'm sure if I called around I could find a dealer that does stock them. These guys are good guys though so I'd just have them order it so I could buy from them. :)

Glad your enjoying the 346. :cheers:

The Echo PPT-260 is an awesome pole saw and think it is much better than the Stihl pole saw...atleast the Stihl I used. Cutting with the pole saw is tricky with the pole maxed out on the high stuff. Especially when the limbs are on the large side!.. Ya'll that know... know what I'm talkin' about! Speaking of which, we need a pole saw that the bar angles 90* ...That would make it soooo much easier!!:biggrinbounce2:

i run 3/8 stihl chain with a 16" bar on my 346xp NE.

i switched over to a 50 gauge bar so i could run stihl chain.cuts smooth as glass and still rips just fine.the .325 chain feels flimsy to me.3/8 feels more solid.

i like the stih; pole saws better but the Stihl 2 cycle pole saw was the ticket.the new HT131 is pretty good though.much better than the 101.

Back