Trimming crossing limbs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ-7

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a red maple with a couple of crossing limbs. In one case both limbs are nicely positioned and of the same size and almost equal rubbing damage. Is there a rule of thumb as to which limb should be removed, the upper or lower? Although I recreationally climb, these can be removed with a pole saw from the ground.

Over the years I've become less concerned about crossing limbs. Take each one individually and don't listen the standard "Dead-diseased-dieing-crossing" recital. I've got many sample of limbs that have very small patches of decayed wood even though the wound might be quite large when compared to the circumference of the limb.

You should consider the effect of the removal on the rest of the tree.

Will you leave a gap in the crown?
How large will the wound be at the collar?
Could you do a reduction of one of the limbs and maybe consider removing in the next few years?
Maybe the two limbs will weld themselves together.

Can you post a picture?

Tom

Thanks Tom. Maybe the best thing to do is just keep an eye on them and not worry until they really are a problem. I just understood that crossing limbs should be removed.

IF all else is equal, then maybe one can be reduced.

Some of the things I look for is which cut will leave the shorter space between remaining branches. That is will removing one reduce supplies of carbs to a greater portion of trunk then another?

Is one close enough to another branch that they will grow together some day?

Is one branch origionating from the center lead and the other from a dominant low limb? I would leave the branch from the center in this case.

Instead of removing a branch I will often reduce it,some times if you reduce the top branch then it will lift up off the bottom one.

Somethimes if you reverse the position of the two branches they will not rub anymore.

How about just propping them apart or tying them away from each other for long enough that they get started off in non-intersecting directions?

Reaction wood can take over the process and the limbs can stay permanently apart.

I too, am tired of the mantras about what to take off and why. If nature believed what we think, forests would all be telephone poles, readty to be planted in alleys or quarter sawn.

Bob Wulkowicz

Thanks, guys, I'll take a closer look at them this weekend and make decision.

Back