truck pto???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psych038

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
anybody now where to look for a pto for a NP203 t-case??? just thought it would be trick to have a log splitter that could slide in the receiver hitch of my 75 dodge. the NP-203 has a pto port but i dont even begin to know where to get the rest.

Try contacting a tow truck company in your area. These PTO's are the same as the ones that run off the tranny and all the older mechanical winch trucks (Homes 440/480 etc.) had them. If they have a retired truck - chances are the PTO's still perfectly fine.

When you run them off your transfer case you have to remember that your tranny is part of the power train - meaning you get several forward gears as well as reverse. Which can be both cool and scary at the same time!

Nikko

At $4.00+ a gallon, why would you want to feed your truck engine to power a splitter. Cool has it price and I think $4.00+ per gallon is is way over priced cool...JMHO

I put a pto on my F350 to run my crane, it turned waaaaaay too slow. So, I rollerchained it to the pump, 4" driving a 2", doubled the speed, still to slow for the pump I had. Between the chain drive & all the salt & crap from the road, the seal went on the hyd. pump in just a few years. I went back to a small 5 hp power pack on the back of the truck. I couldn't see running that 460 c.i. engine 2000 rpm to do what a 5 hp briggs would do. Just my 2 cents.

You should be able to PTO it easy enough, and then gear up to an appropriate pump speed that allows the vehicle to be at idle or close. Surpluscenter.com should have all the hydraulic crap you need, you'd just have to fabricate a way to connect the PTO to the pump.

That said, while it is high on the nifty list, it certainly isn't high on the economical/good sense list. I'd sooner put hours on a Honda GX motor than a vehicle engine! It would be cool, though!

At $4.00+ a gallon, why would you want to feed your truck engine to power a splitter. Cool has it price and I think $4.00+ per gallon is is way over priced cool...JMHO

i dunno??? just seems cool. i guess the same reason i have considered buildind a hotter big block for the wood truck using leftover race parts. wouldnt a 440ci 450hp/trqu woodtruck be awesome. didnt seem any worse than running a splitter on the tractor.

i dunno??? just seems cool. i guess the same reason i have considered buildind a hotter big block for the wood truck using leftover race parts. wouldnt a 440ci 450hp/trqu woodtruck be awesome. didnt seem any worse than running a splitter on the tractor.

===

It's your dime, go for it...Hope ya got lots of them,,,dimes that is. OPEC will love you, but you'll be :cool:

I think if he drives a 75 Dodge, he's probably well aware of the fuel usage associated with it.

The problem I'd be worried about is carbon build-up in the engine with hours of idling like that. But heck, if you want to give it a whirl, why not?

If you want to really crank up the cool meter, build a gasifier and run your truck off wood-gas while you're splitting. I think this winter my main project's going to be trying to get an old engine I have laying around rigged up to burn wood gas and power my buzz saw with it.

The problem I'd be worried about is carbon build-up in the engine with hours of idling like that. But heck, if you want to give it a whirl, why not?

You'd have to bump the idle speed up to run the pump, The older PTO pumps use a cable operated throttle to keep the motor at a desired rpm, kinda like a cable operated cruise control, talk about pimping your ride!

didnt seem any worse than running a splitter on the tractor.

I do split with my tractor and that is surprisingly thrifty.Smaller tractor diesels are miserly when not loaded and to add to that I run sumped jet fuel so cost is nothing. I agree though that a V8 engine would be a big waist of energy.

Not sure about the area you live in but a truck parts store that has parts for semi trucks could help you.In the Cleveland area there are a bunch of stores that sell them.Ive put a couple on years ago but they were kits with all parts for making dumptrucks. :)

I think if he drives a 75 Dodge, he's probably well aware of the fuel usage associated with it.

If you want to really crank up the cool meter, build a gasifier and run your truck off wood-gas while you're splitting. I think this winter my main project's going to be trying to get an old engine I have laying around rigged up to burn wood gas and power my buzz saw with it.

Wood Gas! Are you on the yahoo forums? Well thats my idea this winter also....I have a great plan and sizes for a 250ci 6 banger.....I am going to drive to work and back maybe....

Wood Gas! Are you on the yahoo forums? Well thats my idea this winter also....I have a great plan and sizes for a 250ci 6 banger.....I am going to drive to work and back maybe....

I used to follow the yahoo woodgas forum, but since moving out here I've been too busy with house remodeling, property maintenance, and work to keep up with it. I've built a couple small gasifiers that I've simply piped to a flare, but haven't yet built a big enough one to run an engine with.

===

It's your dime, go for it...Hope ya got lots of them,,,dimes that is. OPEC will love you, but you'll be :cool:

LMAO!!! no prob not going to happen, looked at some gear type pumps that would run fast enough to make it work and....... i think it would be cheaper to just buy a log splitter. but i still have the new 440 on the back burner. if i build it right there is a possibility it could actually be a little more economical. until you get real wild engine mods actually make a motor more fuel efficiant. would still stay with the smaller 625 edelbrock carb. you may all think i'm dumb but HP makes me craaaazy!!!! and yes i will always be cool.

not driving her yet. plan on having it going by this fall/winter. used dad 1/2 ton 318 98 dodge shortbed last winter, it gets about 12-14mpg. i figure that the 3/4 ton 75 with a 400 engine will prob do 6-8 mpg with a trailer. so even if i get half the mileage i can bring home about 3x the wood.

Latest posts

Back