• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Try50” bar and chains for sale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djbasl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m selling a 50” roller nose Oregon bar that takes 058 (58 gauge chain). This bar has not been used. The roller nose turns smoothly without issues (The video provided shows the roller nose turning) The 2 chains that are included are new out of the box Carlton 404 full skip chisel bit chains.
Asking $350.00 for everything plus shipping.

Attachments

• 595B0D17-60D9-4473-B1DD-758F08331E55.jpeg
    595B0D17-60D9-4473-B1DD-758F08331E55.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 44871F71-8D09-4484-893E-C88168B1295E.jpeg
    44871F71-8D09-4484-893E-C88168B1295E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 16E7B235-3892-4606-8930-2EC9805F37BF.jpeg
    16E7B235-3892-4606-8930-2EC9805F37BF.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • E0A7AB94-C0E2-4E66-82C5-9FB54E629B1B.jpeg
    E0A7AB94-C0E2-4E66-82C5-9FB54E629B1B.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 1
  • DF200B30-4EEB-48BB-9AB4-FB97011FE071.jpeg
    DF200B30-4EEB-48BB-9AB4-FB97011FE071.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4139.MOV
    41.5 MB
Sorry, still tryin to figure out this forum. It’s not intuitive to me at all. Anyway I’ll look around some more in the future.

If that bar hasn't been used, how come the rails are badly worn? That looks very well used to me.

...with chamfers on some of the corners where it has been ground or filed upon. And small beads of rolled iron burr on the rails in the bar-mount area that didn't quite get removed right when the bar was "dressed". You would do well to claim it has never been used since the bar was dressed to hide the wear.

There clean. I used to put a chain on it from time to time and manually cycle it with my hands to keep the lube loose in the tip. Part of my saw shop education I guess you could say. But, the bar does show the effects of a moist environment.

Ya, you’re definitely right about your observations, I stand corrected. A buddy snapped those but of a different bar. Regardless I’ll hold off on the sale until I get pics I can confirm of the unused bar before I can move forward. Thank you for the feedback.

When you add or re-list the correct bar, you ought to consider describing what bar mount it has as well. There are many different bar mounts, and I doubt if anyone knows them all from a photo. If you're not sure which saw it fits, ask some questions and someone here will undoubtedly know how to figure it out. You might need a caliper, however.

When you figure out which bar you are selling If it is an Oregon I can identify the specs from the bar number. It will probably be a 5 digit number beginning with a 1 or 3. It will not have the newer bar mount classification starting with a letter. The one pictured appears to be a Stihl mount which is very odd being that you say it is .058. Whether you are selling the bar pictured or not I would like to know the numbers off of it so I can see what it is.

When you add or re-list the correct bar, you ought to consider describing what bar mount it has as well. There are many different bar mounts, and I doubt if anyone knows them all from a photo. If you're not sure which saw it fits, ask some questions and someone here will undoubtedly know how to figure it out. You might need a caliper, however.
Just an fyi, the "chamfers" are strips of hardfacing to prevent wear. Also, I can't be 100% sure but typically bars with the twin adjuster holes are Stihl 090/075 mount.

Just an fyi, the "chamfers" are strips of hardfacing to prevent wear. Also, I can't be 100% sure but typically bars with the twin adjuster holes are Stihl 090/075 mount.
I agree. It does appear to be a 14mm Stihl mount but the 058 is odd if it is indeed a 058 bar. That is why I would like to know the 5 digit code on it

I'm not sayin' y'er wrong, but the original claim was that it was an Oregon bar. I've seen lots of hardfaced bars, but never one with chamfers on all the rail corners. Particularly with grind marks visible and obviously not perfectly symmetrical, as one would expect with a feature present from mass-production.

Got any similar pics to back that claim?

I'm not sayin' y'er wrong, but the original claim was that it was an Oregon bar. I've seen lots of hardfaced bars, but never one with chamfers on all the rail corners. Particularly with grind marks visible and obviously not perfectly symmetrical, as one would expect with a feature present from mass-production.

Got any similar pics to back that claim?
I don't have pics at the moment, but all the hard-faced bars I've seen had pretty coarse and jagged grinder marks on the hard facing material. That being said, it does look like someone used a grinder to grind off a bit of a burr where the bar meets the nose. I also fully believe that that bar is has been used a fair bit. Not necessarily worn out, but not unused either.

That roller nose bearing didn't sound like a good long term investment to me. Besides, the style of the roller & rails where they meet doesn't appeal to me. That big air gap will cause quite a bit of hammering on the rails, even if they are hardened.

.058 is an odd gauge for .404 pitch chain. I'm guessing that roller nose doesn't have any lugs of any sort built in, and it was probably used with 3/8ths pitch chain. At 50" long, that makes it quite a bit of bar for a saw carrying that pitch of chain, even if you went full skip.

My 3120 Husqvarna used to carry a similar bar, and I tried running it with 3/8ths chain, but it just broke the chain too often. That saw is hell on wheels with just a 24" bar in 3/8ths, but it doesn't stand up with a 50" bar.

Latest posts

Back