trying to decide coal/wood or new epa rated wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttamoneypit

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
my house is a raised ranch and we moved here 5 yrs ago, house came with an old barrel shaped shenendoah woodburner with a magic heat on the exhaust pipe and it works ok but I want to upgrade

been looking online at Harmon TLC 2000 or a add on coal/wood furnace, I was thinking of going with this so down the road if I run out of wood I can use coal

or I'm thinking just get a new woodstove with a secondary burn--I don't want 1 with a catalytic secondary burn--I read somewhere that they clog up

i have an olf shenandoah in my cellar. i was thinking of a new stove with secondary burn in it aswell. the more i thought about it the more i talked myself out of it.
my reasons are well i get my wood free (so far anyway) so the extra wood is just my labor. its something i dont mind doing anyway to be honest. thats alot of wood id have to save to get my money back.

the other thing i thought of is the stove is fantastic it just likes to eat a little wood. so why not add secodary burn tubes to the stove i have now? so once i get cought up with everything im gonnna add them to the stove i have now.

i dont think it will be a night and day difference. i do think i will be able to close the stove up more and still get the same heat out of it, but we will see.

Get wood, coal doesnt give a good reason to build up your chainsaw collection.

A wood furnace isnt the most efficient beast on the market, but it will distribute the heat evenly if ducted into your existing heating system.

Do what I did if you can find them, Buy a epa wood furnace. I got lucky around here. It will burn up to 40% less wood than a standard wood furnace, and is rated at 71% efficient. I got mine for 2000, which is the cost of some large epa stoves. I could have continued to use my old wood furnace which worked fine. The issue being I want to burn less wood, and get more heat with a cleaner chimney. Going from 7 cords to possibly 4 or 5 is worth it. Plus I figure i'm moving in the direction of the future with a cleaner burning furnace. The only issue being these are rated at 3500 square feet. You may be able to get a nice woodstove for much cheaper. I've never heard any complaints from someone going from an old smoke dragon to an epa stove. As long as it is sized right for the home.

A wood furnace isnt the most efficient beast on the market, but it will distribute the heat evenly if ducted into your existing heating system.

I beg to differ ....if you have a furnace that has an after burn,thermal mass,massive heat exchanger,barometric draft regulator and thermostat you will be making all of the heat that wood or coal can possibly make plus you'll be able to get that heat into your ducting.

Yukon's do all of this.

Here's a new testimonial I've just received.

Folks, I have a Yukon-Husky wood oil furnace in my 3,000 sq. foot passive solar home, in the Adirondack Mtns. of northern New York. It has been incredibly efficient and easy to operate over the last 18 years, using only 2 cord of wood and 30 gallons of fuel oil a year to keep the house at 70 degrees or higher. I have never owned or operated a better piece of equipment. My masonry chimney is immaculate and has never been cleaned in 18 years. There can't be a simpler, easier or more efficient way to burn solid fuel. It delivers the best and greenest value for heat energy in our forested northern climate.
The biggest problem is getting people to believe how good this product and system really is.

Steven B. Ovitt
Wevertown, NY

Latest posts

Back