Trying to secure state , city and county contracts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Austin, TX. the way to do it is to get a minority woman on your "board" and then bid government contracts as a minority business. Most of the white guys down here who have tree businesses do that and it puts their bids at the front of the line. It's a joke that keeps on keeping on as it's done over and over again. The sad thing is that those same guys get most of the government contracts. I just found out that my right-hand man's wife is half American Indian. Hmmm-------

Check out the rules for submitting bids, online. Most municipalities have an obscure site, somewhere, that details the process. After that, research the minority bidding process, then go out and snag yourself a minority woman, appoint her to your board, file as a minority-owned business and get cuttin' on those big gigs.

Good luck.

LOL....Not far from the truth. They ussualy have a bunch of things like small business, locally owned or women owned that gives you extra points in the bidding. From my experience it can be a very rigged process. Peoples bid gets disqualified for filling out a page wrong or other silly stuff. Somehow the same companies end up with ALL the contracts.

There are laws in place to avoid unfair favoritism but around here if you golf, drink or serve in fraternal groups with the the heads of departments or in smaller towns like Davison, the department workers, they seem to help you get the inside track on successful bidding.
Phil

Prob is they use the same laws to manipulate things to favor the companies that they want.

Prob is they use the same laws to manipulate things to favor the companies that they want.
That may be or maybe the guys who are willing to put the effort into butt kissing are also willing to put the effort into finding out the details of successful bidding. My lone experience with our local town was complaining about a huge hanger in the town park. My wife even told them I'd climb up and get it down. 'Lots of kids playing underneath a killer limb. They fixed the problem. They cut down the whole tree. Idiots.
Phil

I think they are almost all rigged. From my knowledge they don't have to use the lowest bidder either. Many time's they don't even bit it out. If you really want to get that kind of work (be careful what you wish for), you should join the political party, or have your wife donate money to the local political campain's both, and attend all the "dinners" (for a small fee).

What always has amazed me is just how cheaply these guys can be "bought" and how party politics has such an influence at even the most lowly local level.
Phil

Small Wood... seems to be all to true, and there is no justice in it. All comes down to what someone is willing to give up (intergity, morals, diginity) for the all mighty dollar. My experience is most tree guys are honorable, which can be a conflict with this kind of work.

I've beat my head against this wall many times. Has anyone had "positive" experiences in this field? e.g. calls to bid out of the blue? Here a prerequisite is spiking trims for the parks department.

from my experience having any knowledge about proper tree care is not a requirement to win the bid. If your not on the "in" good luck. Hopefully the company that does get the work is one of the one's that do care.

You really probably don't want this kind of work. If anything goes wrong (real or not) you will get blamed. Be careful about what you actually are bidding on.

Back