Tuned Exhuast? Huh?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SierraMtns

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok so is there really a way to tune the exhaust? I noticed his muffler mods have short pipes. I normally run my muffler pipes at 1-1.5".

You could see some changes in pipe length. I normally go short on single outlet to retain the expansion chamber instead of hogging multiple ports in the muffler.

Though pipe length probly means so little it doesnt matter much.

Im alittle longer on this saw 20180322_181401.jpg

Im always messing with mufflers and only judge by seat of pants so my testing isnt much at all

This came up 10+ years ago, the most gains were had at +125% of the exhaust port, but it wasn't much more power than 80% of the exhaust port and it was a whole lot louder.[emoji5] Saws have mufflers they do nothing else but muffle sound, restrict flow, increase engine temperatures and reduced power.

Without the expansion chamber you have to use chrome muffler bearings.:innocent: I think he’s related to Piltz.
He's actually legitimate and he probably knows more than most here. Pretty sure he was just using different terminology for what we simply call a MM. I could be wrong though.[emoji111]

You could see some changes in pipe length. I normally go short on single outlet to retain the expansion chamber instead of hogging multiple ports in the muffler.

Im alittle longer on this saw View attachment 641905

Im always messing with mufflers and only judge by seat of pants so my testing isnt much at all
That's about the same length on my poulan 5200 which is factory and looks like the same diameter pipe.

Steve

That's about the same length on my poulan 5200 which is factory and looks like the same diameter pipe.

Steve

I was thinking the exact same thing, looks almost identical.
i didn't know much about the 5200 when i bought mine and thought the muffler had been played with.

I did some extensive research on this 36cc Poulan that I'm working on and have finally came up with the correct length pipe for it.

Okay, not really. I had the right size tubing and thought it looked good. LolIMG_20180308_190325.jpg

Im alittle longer on this saw View attachment 641905

Tuned or not, loud or not, I'm gonna do this on one of my saws!

tube style muffler does change the power band of a saw and it isnt the same as deflector
from my experience i noticed more gain in torque than rpms, that guy sure knows what he's doing

He's actually legitimate and he probably knows more than most here. Pretty sure he was just using different terminology for what we simply call a MM. I could be wrong though.[emoji111]

Yeah I have talked with Rich (chainsaw guy) a couple times. Really nice guy. I was hoping to learn a new trick with tuning mufflers.

Yeah I have talked with Rich (chainsaw guy) a couple times. Really nice guy. I was hoping to learn a new trick with tuning mufflers.

I agree....I'd like to pick his brain a bit and learn some of the tricks he's got up his sleeve. I heard he was retiring, or at least not building saws and making videos anymore. Truth or rumors?

Start at 2" and cut off 1/4" at a time takong tack readings. Thats only rpm being seen shows mothing of the true chain dragging power

Riddle me this… if the exhaust port is smaller on the cylinder side do you have your first expansion of gases immediately as they exit the cylinder? Short answer yes, technically. Long answer, uh no that’s not what we are talking about when we think of scavenging. Either way you begin the long journey into pressure waves, acoustics and fluid dynamics. The truth is anything you do to the exhaust system “tunes” it. Volumetric efficiency studies would tell you it’s much better to have a scavenging than it is to make the crankcase do all the work. If you are working within the confines of stock muffler shapes though a lot can still be accomplished by making the crankcase’s job easier. That in itself has a bit of science to it and remember temperature is a major player in wave speed regardless of scavenging or not. Rich walked around for years with an infrared thermometer measuring every exhaust. I don’t know how much thought he puts into his muffler modifications, I do know his saws run very well in the wood. He is very competent in small engines and has been building saws for decades, and I mean... decades.

Back