Turn down of certain wood...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3+ years supply cut and stacked, mostly red/white oak, yellow birch, shagbark hickory, beech, ash, sugar maple, silver maple. No need for free white pine. Not worth the effort. Had some blowdown white birch but that's about as soft as we've burned.

You live in Wyoming?I'll drive some oak out your way in exchange for a deer hunt.:)

I have lived here my whole life, as has many gens of my family before. Great place to live in many ways, not so in others. Man I wish someone would get the deer and antelope thinned out a bit, they are all over the roads etc as it has been super dry for the last few years. They tend to migrate to the fields, roads and rural homes like ours when there is nothing to eat in the hills.
The amount of road kill is just amazing, ask my wife.

Russian olive is everywhere, but... ifins ya ever experience this tree, just run. It burns ok when well seasoned, but good golly does it stink, smells like burnt bad coffee or burnt beans.

I would agree with you on the Russian olive only the smell is even worse then you make it out to be.

I know that for some people they only have a certain amount of storage space to keep their wood supply and are looking to fill that limited space with the best wood that they can get. But if you're giving the wood away and people don't want it they either have another way to get good wood or they're hoping that something better comes along!

So, pine is OK to burn?
I tried that one year and had a healthy glaze of creosite in my stove pipe, which took some heavy duty scrubbing to clean out. Never again.
I only burn pine in campfires and bonfires now. Worthless junk to me.

I burn oak, cherry and hickory in my stove and my pipe is clean and creosite-free at the end of the season.

Sounds like it wasn't well seasoned.

Some people are wasteful types of people...

I know a guy who will take only the big pieces of wood but will leave smaller pieces which are there for the taking free. This same person will also throw pennies on the ground because he does not want them. He will waste food - eat a half a plate of something then throw away the rest. He will not eat leftovers. He also leaves on electric lights all over his house and does not bother to turn them off. This guy also has very serious financial problems!

Other people are "frugal types". They understand that pennies saved add up to dollars. They gain a little here and there by saving here and there. Then at the end of the month they have a little extra. People like this I know tend to be in better financial condition...

I broke my butt cutting and splitting about 2 cords of black willow. After seeing the minimal btu's it threw; no ambers; burned like newspaper, I said never again. You couldn't give me another black willow to burn, unless I was crash-landed in Alaska and freezing.

I would agree with you on the Russian olive only the smell is even worse then you make it out to be.

I have burned tons of this stuff, matter of fact it is going in the shop as I type. As long as the wind is right it is ok with me. I am curious what the heat content is though, it will indeed make heat! Get a big ol load of split R/O going and hang on! It makes cottonwood smell like roses!!

Back