Fall Sales

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatplains

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I feel like I have been living under a rock, which I probably have, but I'm having a tough time deciding on what to do about a new saw. I currently have a little saw, but it's older with no chain brake which gets annoying shutting it off and starting it every time I move. It doesn't have the grunt for what I would like to do. In the past I've lived in areas that were big in forestry, and as such finding used chainsaws was no problem. That is no longer the case, the only trees we have around here are shelter belts. Heating with wood is minimal. There is no used market that I can find. I have been watching this forums classifieds, but I've not seen anything I'm interested in for the last month.

So that brings me to buying new which I have no problem with. I realize we are still dealing with inflation and shortage, but I'm amazed at how poor the chainsaw market seems to be. I have two decent Stihl dealers near me, one Husqvarna dealer, and kind of an Echo dealer. The Echo dealer is a lawnmower shop. He carries chainsaws, but only two of the smallest models. He could get the one I want, the 4910, but it would not be any time remotely soon, so that's not really an option. The Husky dealer is a Tractor Supply. They aren't bad, but I really don't like that store. It seems they manage to fill the store with everything except what I need. They do have the 450 rancher I am considering. The Stihl dealers are both good, they carry the full line of Stihl everything.

The problem is all of them are at MSRP and they wont budge. I've asked about a fall sale or a black friday sale, and nobody seems to know anything. Runnings, which is a Stihl dealer was the only one who did know, and they are for sure not having any sales of any kind this year. It's MSRP or nothing, although they would throw in a Stihl carry case which I don't really care about. The Tractor Supply I've tried in person, and they knew nothing. I then called the manager, and was told he did not know either, check the website. The website did not say anything. It too is MSRP. The Echo dealer obviously won't do anything, but I'm finding Echo 4910's online in quite a few places, but they mostly are MSRP as well. One place I've shopped before offers them for MSRP and free shipping. Maybe I've been out of it too long, but are chainsaws just sold at MSRP now? There used to be fall sales on these every year, is that not a thing anymore?

I guess ultimately my question comes down to another in the long list of "what chainsaw should I buy?" threads. Getting more into the nitty gritty, the Stihl MS250 offers no great features. It has a cheap Zama carb with goofy adjustments, non-adjustable oiler, but other than that it is a simple saw that would work for what I want. The Echo CS-4910 seems a shoe-in on paper. Lightest 50cc saw on the market, fully adjustable Walbro carb, adjustable oiler, magnesium crankcase, and probably more. Both are foreign companies, with their saws made in the USA. I guess I just can't get over the thought of paying sticker price. Am I wasting my time hoping for a sale, or am I just looking in the wrong places?

The catch with the Echo 4910 is it has rubber anti vibe. The chain tension adjuster is in the clutch cover which I think is worse than in the body of the saw like Stihl and Makita. I never used one. On that model be happy to get msrp and shipping, might even find a place that does not have to charge sales tax. I have no idea what sort of forestry type shows exist in your area but that is really the only sales I have seen lately. Lots of internet places are more than msrp on Echo stuff.

The full line of Stihl everything, well since they have everything get the color catalog and reevaluate that statement.

There are no forestry shows in my area. I'm sure Minnesota has something, but if I go that far I can find used ones easily. I guess it sounds dumb being as they are only $380, but there's just something not right about paying MSRP.

Is there something wrong with rubber anti-vibe? I'm not familiar with what is common now. I only know what I've handled in the store, I've never actually cut with any new stuff. I'm not really picky, I'm just a normal person looking for general farm use. I don't cut firewood for myself, I only help a friend once in a while. Are the chain tensioners prone to breaking on the 4910?

I've called around, even called places an hour drive away. Everything Stihl is MSRP, no bargaining, and nobody has any sales. I called Acme Tools in Fargo which has Echo, and they too aren't having any sales. Still no word on Tractor Supply, but I'm not holding my breath. Even if the 450 Rancher had a sale, it is already over priced.

So I guess my question is still the same. I do all my own work and I don't care that much about warranty after the first month. I do at least like the option if the thing turns out to be a lemon right away. Should I walk into the local Runnings and pay $400 MSRP for a Stihl MS250, or should I order an Echo CS4910 online for $380 MSRP? On paper the 4910 seems better in most ways, but that doesn't always mean anything. I'm more interested in long term durability than anything, with lesser considerations being how long they will run on a tank.

I have the Echo 490 and a couple of Stihl ms251's. Like @Franny K noted the anti vibe on the 4910 is rubber and almost identical to the 490. I dont have an ms250 but I can tell you that running the cs490 and the ms251 side by side the Echo is not as comfortable. It's a bit more buzzy than the Stihl.

I had noticed the Sthil ms251 but I never considered it much. It is a little heavier than the 250 according to the spec sheet, but I'm not going to fret 3/4 pound. The 251 appears to be the newer version of the 250, yet oddly the MSRP is less at $380, same as the Echo 4910.

Is there any particular reason you went with the ms251 rather than the ms250?

I had noticed the Sthil ms251 but I never considered it much. It is a little heavier than the 250 according to the spec sheet, but I'm not going to fret 3/4 pound. The 251 appears to be the newer version of the 250, yet oddly the MSRP is less at $380, same as the Echo 4910.

Is there any particular reason you went with the ms251 rather than the ms250?
I buy used. I have a ms251c and ms251. Both were priced right and in like new condition. If a ms250 had come along sooner I would probably have one.

Ebay catches a lot of crap, for good reason, but you can find decent deals on smaller saw sometimes with patience. If you are wanting a 250 or 251, I have found deals on them. Or you could get a nice running pro model saw such as a 024 or 026 and have a better saw, and still probably spend less than a new 251 is going to cost you. That might not be the route you want to take, but it is an option if you can't find anything locally.

I've had an ms250 for several years. Rarely use it as I have a hell of a time starting it. I should find a stout young man and sell it off.
Bought a CS-4910 a couple months ago off the bay. Just over $300 delivered and brand new. I've been very happy with it, although I'm probably at about 5 tanks through it. I'd highly recommend it. It's a really nice 50cc saw.

Good call on ebay, I guess I never even realized people sold chainsaws like that. There are a number of MS251's in various condition. There is also a brand new in box Echo 4910 for $330 free shipping. It has the 20" bar, which I would prefer the shortest possible, else I would have bought it. Wow bars and chains have got expensive in the past couple years. I'll keep my eyes on ebay, it looks like something could definitely show up there.

Good call on ebay, I guess I never even realized people sold chainsaws like that. There are a number of MS251's in various condition. There is also a brand new in box Echo 4910 for $330 free shipping. It has the 20" bar, which I would prefer the shortest possible, else I would have bought it. Wow bars and chains have got expensive in the past couple years. I'll keep my eyes on ebay, it looks like something could definitely show up there.
Just be careful, there are a lot of good deals, but it's easy to get ripped off on there too. Shipping charges can make a good deal go south quickly too lol

I'm aware of Ebay scams, are they common with knock off chainsaws? Is there a casting mark I can verify that it is genuine when I get it?

So here is a curveball. There are a lot of Echo 590's on ebay for great prices, and they seem to have a reputation every bit as good as the 4910. There is one I put in my watchlist, and it appears I could get it really cheap. Brand new in box, free shipping. It has a 24" bar, but for whatever reason I'm finding 590 bars half price of 4910 bars. Not quite, but there is an oregon 16" 590 bar and chain for $45. I'm not seeing any brand of 4910 bar and chain under $60. It probably overkill on power for my needs. Would I regret the 3 extra pounds of a 590?

I'd really rather have a shorter bar. I'm not making firewood all day. Bar length doesn't matter much for my normal farm or trail use of getting dead trees and branches out of the way. A longer bar just gets caught up in stuff if I'm clearing new trails for hunting or dirt bikes, or whatever. It's not common I get to clear fresh dirtbike trail in state forest, but it's nice when I do. In any case, I never cut down large live trees ever. I have no business cutting down any tree over 12" in diameter, if they get that big they can live. One of my projects this year will be clearing two trails on the farm that have over grown. It is a lot of woody brush that is a little too big now to get with the brush cutter. The shorter bar is easier to keep track of when you are down near the ground cutting stuff off flush, less chance of hitting dirt.

I'm fine with a 16" bar. I've been using a 14" on my small saw, and I'd love that length if they made it for the bigger saws. 18"+ is getting pretty unwieldy for my purposes. Less to sharpen too. I'm 6'5", so bars have to be really long for me to stand up and cut like some guys do with 24".

Go to your Stihl dealer and find the one you like in your budget. Or you can buy a husky on line a lot cheaper but sight unseen. There’s not going to be any deals for a year or two with the supply chain like it is. And yes, it’s been like this for about two years.

I'm aware of Ebay scams, are they common with knock off chainsaws? Is there a casting mark I can verify that it is genuine when I get it?

So here is a curveball. There are a lot of Echo 590's on ebay for great prices, and they seem to have a reputation every bit as good as the 4910. There is one I put in my watchlist, and it appears I could get it really cheap. Brand new in box, free shipping. It has a 24" bar, but for whatever reason I'm finding 590 bars half price of 4910 bars. Not quite, but there is an oregon 16" 590 bar and chain for $45. I'm not seeing any brand of 4910 bar and chain under $60. It probably overkill on power for my needs. Would I regret the 3 extra pounds of a 590?
I stewed on the 590 deals as well. Since I have a couple Stihl 036's it would have been redundant. I also realized what I wanted was a light 45-50 cc saw, not another 60 cc. For what you're describing I'd go with the 4910 (or possibly a 250/251). If you were local I'd make you a deal on a 250.

I'd steer you towards the cs4910. The ebay seller looks good. I use either Oregon VersaCut or Speedcut bars on my Echo saws. With minor mods Husqvarna bars work well on the Echo.
I picked up an 18" and 16" Oregon Husqvarna mount for incredible prices on Amazon.

The biggest scams I have faced with saws is folks selling aftermarket parts as OEM, or selling used saws that are not in as good of condition as listed. Both of them are easy to avoid (most of the time) if you are careful to stick with well reviewed sellers who have been around a while.

If you're looking for a light 40-50cc saw with good power, a 024 or 026 in good condition with a 16" bar in either 3/8" or .325 is a heck of a combination. I'm sure the other makes are good saws too, I am just not familiar with any of them myself.

There are deals out there. I picked up a factory reconditioned Husky 455 Rancher from Nothern Tool for $265. They sold out quick! Didn't really need another saw, but couldn't pass it up at that price. It arrived today, looks brand freakn new. I tossed on a slightly used 20" Stihl green chain and it fired up with 3 pulls and cuts well. I'm going to run an Oregon EXL chain and she'll be nice in the firewood rotation.

A quick search online found refurbed Husky 450's for about three bills. I've had my 450 since 2010 and it's been a solid firewood saw. If you're buying new, Echo is hard to beat on bang for the buck. Used - I would look for local sellers on FB marketplace.

Local hardware store just had a 20% off sale for 2 hours only last Sunday. They’re an echo dealer and it included all echo products they had in stock. I picked up a 9010t backpack blower. They had the 620 and the 355t in stock as well.

If your cutting brush sized stuff I'd look hard at a stihl 201 rear handle with safety chain, you can get it with a16" on it. Another thought is a brush cutter blade on a larger weedeater. If you need the tool don't feel bad about paying msrp, the time you wasted looking to save 20 bucks could have been better used.

Back