Twice burned firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjett84724

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking for your expertise in this subject. The area I live in experienced some terrible fires two-three years ago. Luckily for me the fires burned really fast through the area and we did not lose any lives. The trees in the area, mostly pinion and juniper, did not fare so well. All of the bark burned off the trees and they were blackened. I have cut a few of these trees and they are solid. :chainsaw: Do you have any trouble selling blackened firewood? I burn it myself, and it burns great. :cheers: Thanks

Jesse

Hey guys,

I am looking for your expertise in this subject. The area I live in experienced some terrible fires two-three years ago. Luckily for me the fires burned really fast through the area and we did not lose any lives. The trees in the area, mostly pinion and juniper, did not fare so well. All of the bark burned off the trees and they were blackened. I have cut a few of these trees and they are solid. :chainsaw: Do you have any trouble selling blackened firewood? I burn it myself, and it burns great. :cheers: Thanks

Jesse

Im in the same boat with a bunch of ponderosa pine. Been cutting a lot of it. The bark is just blackened, but the wood is great, closer to being seasoned, IMO. The thing about it that sucks though is that if you dont get all the bark off you get the char all over your house. Im gonna see how it goes, but Im thinking Ill keep cutting it.

A market for it? No, noone is likely to buy it unless you price is so low it is a give-away, even then the females will throw whoever brings in the first load out of the house.

I just finished harvesting a 5 acre patch of fire killed Willow last year. Keep in mind in the following that I am retired and haven't anything better to do::givebeer:

Year 1 and 2. most bark was 'sorta loose' and I peeled it with a drawknife, one round at a time.

Year 3 - still having to peel about half of it.

Year 4 and on - almost all the blackened bark had fallen off the trees.

But that was Willow. A bit of fire kills the bark (and eventually the tree) which releases its grip on the tree.

Harry K.

Back