Two books: Old-time logging in the Lake States

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gearhead1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have recently read two great books about historic logging in the area of Northern Wisconsin and the U.P. of Michigan. "Calked Boots & Cant Hooks" by George Corrigan, is a personal recounting of one man's early career in the lumber camps of Northern Wisconsin and the U.P., from the early 1900's until WWII. Its not full of sensational stories, but simply an honest account of the many years the author enjoyed in the woods. "Cut & Run Loggin' Off The Big Woods" by Mike Monte, is mostly a photographic collection from the late 1800's through the early 1900's of Northern Wisconsin logging scenes. Both were very interesting reads and I highly recommend them if you have any interests in the subject.

2 more good books, WV Logging

Check out Tumult on the Mountains: Lumbering in West Virginia 1770-1920 by Roy Clarkson, and On Beyond Leatherbark: The Cass Saga also by Roy Clarkson, both are great reads if you're interested in WV history, or the history of rail logging between 1900 and 1960

I bet they ARE some interesting reads!

The east dosent get all the big timber credit that the PNW gets.
But back in the day there where PLENTY of chin high + butts over here. Just a thing of the past like the Elk...

These are some good leads for some interesting reading.

The "Cut and Run..." book is mostly the history of my area, so my favorite.

The author is the editor of a local newspaper and was a logger himself before that, a real good guy.

Back