Two ? for rebuild, Rings and Gasket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
:dizzy: Ok, I am set to put the ring and cylinder gasket back on this poulan 3750 60cc. Being a first timer doing this I can not tell which way the ring goes on. On my car rebuilds the ring has a dot, but on this 2 stroke I dont see any. There is a difference in the way the end gap area is. Does this give me a clue which is the top of ring? Also the gasket between the cylinder and base. Should it be just the gasket installed? No use of rtv or gasket sealer or etc?Just the gasket?

Is the locating pin in the ring land on the piston offset? If it is it should clue you in on the way the rings go. On base gaskets I like to use a small amount of hightack to keep it in place.

In the line where the ring is, there should be a pin that keeps the ring from spinning around. Either the pin is in front or back, slightly off center, but never on the sides. Up or down in the line. The ring has the ends cut in a way that it can be pressed together around this pin. :Eye:

I made it worse now didn't I......... :dizzy:

You will figure it out. :eek:

What they are saying is the ends of the ring are not square like on an automotive application. Look carefully at the ring ends and you will see how they fit into the area where the pin is located in the piston. This pin is a tiny one in the ring groove to keep the ring from spining out of position. Mike

Also, do you notice if your piston has a little arrow on the top of it? If it does, you want to have it pointing towards the exhaust port.

uuuhhhhhhh

automotive rings are not square, even without an upward dot their is always a bevel pointing upward. helps seal the ring on the compression stroke...
again just a thought................

Just wanted to thank all that helped me out. Found that pin and on the ring groove. I just cleaned up the scoring on the front of cylinder exaust area and Front of piston area. Cleaned the ring groove and gasket area. New gasket had two sticking tabs to hold it in place, so I figured no gasket sealent was needed. Never seen that on ant gasket before. But it worked out great. I lubed the cylinder with 2 stroke oil and piston and ring while puting them together. Put everything and fired it up on the 2nd pull. Thing has more power then ever before. So how should break in be for the new ring and such? My first rebuild starts and runs so far, find out how well it runs and stays together in wood in a few days. Once again, THANKS ALL.

Latest posts

Back