U-Haul on Route 66

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Mac Guy

Old Mac Guy

ArboristSite Operative
My whole score from the old closed-down chainsaw shop on Route 66 {operated by one man from 1961-1987 and closed with these saws in it, most of them repaired and running} included: 26 chainsaws, two reciprocating blade saws, one cut-off saw, about a dozen string trimmers (two of them Mac's, others from several different makers) and parts of others, an old two-cylinder air compressor with a good tank and motor which I think will do well for powering my compressed air paint jugs, three battery chargers (one Schumacher) and five boxes (12x12x24) full of mostly new chainsaw parts (carbs, clutches, starter assemblies, springs, dawgs and pawls and screws and coils, points and condensers and bucking spikes and magnetos and black widow spider egg sacks.... and a lot of other smaller parts -- some new, some used), a dozen or so new bars and a box full of used ones, a bunch of different sizes of screnches and couple of boxes of old hand tools, most of them in good shape.

The guy said most of the saws had been repaired and were running when the old man quit foolin' with chainsaws and gave them to him about 15 years ago. They've been stored in one corner of his son-in-law's auto body shop since then. Everything was covered with dust -- but not too bad.... just had to wipe some of the badges to read makers and models.... got my hands a little dirty....

I bought it all for ${real cheap}. I put the computer in the front seat of the Suburban, made the three Springer spaniels scrunch up in one corner of the back and loaded it all and brought it home. Haven't unloaded it all yet. Can't remember everything exactly and particularly, but among the chainsaws are:

Mac 35 complete, turns over, good bar and chain, good paint, looks like it'll fire right up; Mac 640; Mac 310; Mac 320; Mac 330; Mac 340 (2 - one missing air filter cover); 2-3 smaller Mac's; Wright reciprocating saw; Allis-Chalmers reciprocating saw; Remington Mighty Mite; Remington Bantam; Western Auto Wizard (!!); 2-3 old Craftsman's; 2-3 old Montgomery Wards; Homelite 150 (2); Homelite Super XL; a couple of Homelite blue saws styled like the C-5's, but smaller; Homelite C-91, couple of old Deere John's....

I think most of the saws will run with just a little tinkering.... a few are missing some parts like airbox covers, bar and chain.... two feel like 200 pounds compression (new piston and rings?). And the boxes of new and used parts will probably come in very handy after I go through them and cull out any used parts that don't look usable.... (one smaller box has about 20-30 clutch assemblies of different kinds....).

First thing is, I gotta build some new shelves in the back of the honeyhouse.... And before that, I need to quit foolin' around with dirty old chainsaws and go work the beeyards and extract and bottle some honey and pay some bills....

I know.... I know.... most of you prob'ly don't give a flip about my struggles with this dis-ease.... I swear.... I think if I leave a Mac 4-30A and an Eclipse Wasp alone together behind the old caboose stove overnight, they BREED!! You come in in the mornin', all calm and expectin' to be able to just sharpen a few chains for the XL12's and 610's, and DANG!!!.... there's a whole litter of new old saws a-layin' around clutterin' up the floor and cryin' for attention and the 4-30 and the Wasp a-sittin' over there lookin' all innocent....

Cousin Thurston's wife says the doctors are threatening to let him out of the hospital on Monday.... I wish they'd keep him for a few weeks.... Give everbody else around here a chance to relax our guards a little while and maybe get the jalapenos set out in the garden....

Anyone got a set of Mac microfiche ya need ta get rid of??

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
wow

Looking at your list there sounds like you picked up a slew of chainsaws and parts. I too got a Mac 35 that beleive it or not runs. You got yourself a big load of chainsaw fever now, good for you.

ozflea

ozflea

Good ol' BP Zoom 25-1
Well OMG ya did well, saving all those old macs, hmmmm now where's ya gonna park ya head to rest there won't be room for all of ya's in your joint.

No really not a bad haul at all seems as if you will have a great collection of 300 series Macs as well.

See what happens when you start to mutter about BP-1's everyone jumps on the band wagon wanting bits as their as scarce as hens teeth and worth good money to the right person.

And it's good to see Heviarti back from god knows where and with a hand full of BP-1 offerings from the saw gods.

Mc Bob.

Old Mac Guy

Old Mac Guy

ArboristSite Operative
Yes, McBob, the big haul from Route 66 filled in a lot of blank spots in my Mac collection. And it looks like maybe the Allis-Chalmers model 85 reciprocator may give me some leverage in a future trade.... Also, I'm lookin' forward to seeing what the Homie C-91 is like.... Not sure yet what I'll do with some of the smaller saws (like the two JD's).... Probably keep most and trade off others.

Looks like Heviarti found a good stash of Old Mac parts.... lot of BP-1 and maybe some other NOS stuff.... I, also, got in last week some boxes full of NOS Old Mac stuff: crankcases, tinwork, carbs, fuel tanks, clutch and recoil covers, bunch of different gaskets, points sets and other electric, and bunch of smaller parts. It's mostly 3-25, 47, 73 and 30's-series stuff.... I think I could construct about 60% of a new model 73 out of it. Some nice Mac GEESES on a lot of it.

Soon as I get 'em cleaned up some, I'll post some pix of the 35 and the A-C 85 and maybe a few others....

A local rancher saw the Wright B316 recip in my rig Friday and on Sunday came by and gave me a Wright B520 recip with four new blades and one on the saw, a handy tool kit to hold the spare blades and with field tools for the saw and a new spark plug in it. He said the saw runs fine.... he just don't use it anymore and, since I've got bit by the chainsaw collectin' bug, would just give it to me. I gave him a couple quarts of honey for him and his wife....

I made up a new saying: "If you have no butter churn and want one, nobody will give you one. If you have six butter churns and are not looking for any more, everyone who has one will give you theirs." Or, "Those as has, gits."

Gotta go work.... more, later.

Ken

Old Mac Guy

Old Mac Guy

ArboristSite Operative
Howdy, Romeo!

Wal..... depends on what ya need.... I'm working on some old Mac's now and they will absorb some of the NOS parts I got in.... but I've got a lot of others that need an old saw to go onto....

If you'll give me a list of what your lookin' for, I'll tell you which I have available. I may be in Carizozo on Memorial Day weekend and maybe even goin' on to Tularosa to visit Uncle Jack the old cowboy and retired brand inspector a day or so and then on to EPT.... My nephew and family are in Ruidoso and niece and family in Roswell and I want to visit the endangered fish hatchery in Dexter..... so I may be all around Sunspot in a couple of weeks.... If I've got what you need and we make a deal, you may not have to drive far.... better than the 200-some miles from Sunspot to where I am here between Sabinoso and Bueyeros....

What are you workin' on?

romeo

romeo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Im working on a 1966 Model 300. I'm not sure what all I need yet. I am looking for a .058 guage roller nose bar if you got one. I am up your way a few times in the summer since your near my favorite fishen lakes (Conchas, Ute). We like to camp up the rivers for a week about once a year and catch catfish.