un tie or keep tied up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankbg

Reaction score
Palm head (fronds) are tied up for ease of transportation only. NOT TO BE LEFT TIED UP! Pending on palm type we untie ALL heads (fronds) before lifting tree into pace (planting)! I am FNGLA certified (Judge /instructor) & ex ISA, for many years. 45 years experance Horticultural & Urban planning degrees. PALMS need to start producing sugars (Cation exchange) as soon as possible. If fronds are tied together they can't & many times will get BUD-ROT if extended tie up occur, soon death of a wonderful palm. This is very upsetting to see plus clients don't appreciate paying for a struggling to dead palm. I see this happening all to often, then I stop and 90% of un-educated personal spit at me as I'm taking time to educate not to make fools out of anyone. Just think of logic of growth, nature responds to logic, its not magic. Canary Island Dates (Phoenix canarinese) is one of few that you can leave tied up for 24-48 hours, but not more. We found there's no advantage in fact have moved & planted 100's in my life time. They are touchy and must be handled with great care, even roots need to be cleanly cut not frayed. We always spray CANARY DATE palm with oil base insecticide and use low non-volatile fertilizer. Please think logically for plants sake & your own. THANK YOU

Latest posts

Back