unions???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Latest trend here is to fly in Chinese workers ... no shortage of them either ... how many ya want?

I would like to see graphed the corporate profits vs the union membership. I bet that what you'll see is corporate profits skyrocketing as unions diminish.

Those banks and insurance companies are making filthy amounts of money. The employees of those companies have had their benefits eroded over the last 20 years. I was talking to the bank teller the other day and they dont even get cheap homeloans anymore ... all in the name of profit for shareholders.

Call centers are being outsourced to India like there's no tomorrow. Qantas our national airline doesn't recruit in Australia anymore.

Yes, we are all so much better off without unions aren't we? :dizzy:

It's not as though workers have progressed anywhere near as much as the corporations. And gone are the days of massive strikes and action when the govt allows foreigners to take your job. No-one cares, your just a number and there's another to fill your shoes if you dont like it here. Sad but true.

Prior to 9-11, I WAS employed with Southern Pine Electric CO-OP, member owned electrical cooperation. Mississippi being a right to work state, you could either be in or not in the union. When I hired on, it was as a groundman on right-of way crew. Company policy was if you climb one tree, even in training, you recieve manual climbing pay. Being new, I did this for a week without climbing pay, since I figured this was a training situation. Had to go for 2 weeks anual training and when I got back, I got called into the office. Had to explain why someone from the union filed a greivance on my behalf for climbers pay. I saw that the union would take care of me, so I joined. Then, the fear of de-regulation kicked in. Company was getting rid of ROW employees, and contracting all line clearence out to non-union companies. By this time, I had progressed to lead aerial basket tree trimmer. So, I opted to enter the journeyman lineman program. I was an active member of our union- going to meetings, voting on issues, etc. When the union decided not to stand behind the right of way employees (union as well as non-union) I stood up for them. Local president as well as several members stated that they would trade away trimmers for a pay increase. So, what about the employees? No one cared. This is why we started our own business, and are happy we did.

OTG boston, I know thats what is sad things need to change goodluck at the next meeting let us know whats up!

Ekka, what you say is true & something needs done!!! you are right noone will stick together I think some unions realize this as do the companies so their thoughts are lets take all we can from the members/employees IMO.
I dont think were better off without unions on the contrary we need to get the unions outta bed with the companies & the government outta something thats not even their business. the working man just wants to stay afloat while the higher ups want to keep going higher up at our expense.

doggonetrees, good for you!!! a sad case in point!!!

hey you guys take care & be safe. LXT....................

Hey lxt,

EXECUTIVE SALARIES

Is where the savings can be made, check it out.

I dont care how good a sawyer or climber you are. In fact you could be the best 10 years straight you'll never ever earn the bucks these guys do.

http://www.forbes.com/static/execpay2005/totcomp.html?boxes=custom

I believe we have turned the full cycle, from militant unions and great conditions all the way around to no unions, workplace agreements, enterprise bargaining BS.

Fact is you sitting in the CEO's office of Bank of USA trying to negotiate your salary package as an individual when there's 300 applicants for the job is a joke ... and they know it. They'll close branches, charge more fees, outsource your job to India etc etc and the CEO will get a bonus whilst you join the soup kitchen.

Profits will soar, like they have for the belly-aching oil industry who managed for 2 years straight to raise profits in this devasting hard done by environment by billions. Seems everyone is laughing all the way to the bank except for the worker who's standard of living has fallen considerably in the last 10 years.

Governements have taken a soft stance, import duties and tarifs have dropped allowing cheap imports to replace home made products. In turn manufacturers of iconic names have departed your shores and your people in the name of profit.

We have come full cycle, the youngsters in their late teens and early 20's joining the workforce will be easily defeated. They feel lucky to have a job let alone fight their boss over conditions ... the future will be interesting as the wheel rolls on.

Ekka,
I dont think anyone could of said it any better, very well said!! & yes it will be interesting for the the teens & early 20 yr olds.

be safe, take care & enjoy the holidays Lxt...........

lxt said:
anyone else with any union woes....
The linemen run our IBEW local, our reps are linemen. This causes some trust issues, but it's doubtful the trimmers will ever be unified enough to do anything about it. We still get great pay and benefits. Formans pay will be over $25 hr. January 1. We don't have to pay anything out of pocket for health insurance premiums for our familys, and get $29 a day into retirement. Anything over 40 hours or outside our regular work hours is double time. There's no way we would get our benefits without the union.

Latest posts

Back