Used a 70 ft HiRanger last week

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
Reaction score
It has the pistolgrip control vs than the three levers. WOW what a difference.

I've rarely run buckets in my career, till the past two years, they have always been the thee separate levers.

How much more does the pistol grip cost, and are there any drawbacks?

I agree. I've only used 3 stick up until recently switching to a 65' HiRanger with the pistolgrip, and the difference is magical. The multi-axis control is its best feature, although the stiffness of the controls starts to aggravate my wrist after a few hours. As far as I know, the pistol-grip is the standard control on newer models, and 3 stick is an alternative option.

It has the pistolgrip control vs than the three levers. WOW what a difference.

I've rarely run buckets in my career, till the past two years, they have always been the thee separate levers.

How much more does the pistol grip cost, and are there any drawbacks?

My high ranger came with one they are high but they are nice.
Mine has only one drawback a glove will need wore when it is 100+ degrees
as the aluminum grip will scald you at those temps!

i would never buy a bucket that wasnt a pistol grip!! its like night and day:clap:

My high ranger came with one they are high but they are nice.
Mine has only one drawback a glove will need wore when it is 100+ degrees
as the aluminum grip will scald you at those temps!

Plasty dip the sob. I did it to the shifter( B&M?) in one of my trucks not for hot but for cold. Then i plasty dipped everything else, thought about sticking my pecker in the can but decided agaisnt it.

Pistol are nice only drawback I ever encountered is when trash and chips build up under the handle and the safety sticks. At work we have hi-ranger and an altec both with pistols. Of course the controls are opposite each other. If only the manufacturers had a universal code for all pistol grip type bucket trucks and thre handle for that matter.

try sticking your keyboard in it.....

pistol grip all the way for me!

lol

pistol grip for bucket control is definitely better. problem with them lever action jobbies is pulling the hydro tool valve lever. if you got big hands you can run the bucket onehanded and be looking at where you are going at the same time.

My Hi Ranger has the pistol grip and it does get hot! It is 69ft. to the top lip of the bucket and the bottom boom does not go over center.

Mine will but only in 100+ degree days. The fluid runs through it and transfers heat and when its already 102 degrees does not take much to be very uncomfortable. Do you have many days with high heat temps in your area? I will look into the plasti dip Dan hmmm I think I won't try the root dip though:laugh:

DO YOU GET IT NOW??? LOL

Yes, yes I got it the first time, I was giving a little back.
Now back to plasti dipping your joystick... on your bucket truck that is.
Well, first you can only really get a good bond if its not hard and you are going to want to get it off ( the truck). You are going to want to plug the hole ( where the threads are) to keep the mating surfaces clean. I would dip it in a bunch of times as it gets thicker each time and its best to go as deep into the can as possible but you can't go to deep... I haven't been up this early in a long time but this is the best time to pop squirells and these instuctions are also on the can.

I guess if you can't find plasti dip you can try to stretch some kind of rubber sleeve over it... I hope I have helped end the suffering of burning your hand while manipulating your joystick, I have been there myself and it sucks.

Last edited:
Yes, yes I got it the first time, I was giving a little back.
Now back to plasti dipping your joystick... on your bucket truck that is.
Well, first you can only really get a good bond if its not hard and you are going to want to get it off ( the truck). You are going to want to plug the hole ( where the threads are) to keep the mating surfaces clean. I would dip it in a bunch of times as it gets thicker each time and its best to go as deep into the can as possible but you can't go to deep... I haven't been up this early in a long time but this is the best time to pop squirells and these instuctions are also on the can.

I guess if you can't find plasti dip you can try to stretch some kind of rubber sleeve over it... I hope I have helped end the suffering of burning your hand while manipulating your joystick, I have been there myself and it sucks.
Yeah that would help but I was thinking of crafting a leather sheath
to fit mine and lacing it on cowhide is excellent to insulate heat!

Everyone's pretty much summed up pro's and con's. Sawdust can be a killer to the joystick. I've seen guys let them get so packed with debris the boom runs slow because the thing isn't throwing all the way, when they try to reef on the handle it will actually break the linkage.

Replacement parts for linkages and hardware are cheap but when you break the control head get ready to empty your wallet. Newer units are now insulated. The control head is fiberglass or a plastic material, and the linkage rods have insulated inserts in them, so there a little more $ to repair. I had a link to a lawsuit that involved a worker getting electricuted when a hot wire hit the control and him at the same time, operator error not having a blanket on the wire but it might not have happened if the controller was insulated. We even have to test the dielectic stregnth of the insulated controllers now.

All in all make sure to replace the boot if it rips, clean regularly, keep the adjustments up, and most important DO NOT reef on the thing, if it doesn't want to move somethings wrong - get it checked out.

70 Hi Ranger

I bought a 94 International all wheel drive 65' Hi Ranger this spring, 71' basket height. Best Investment I ever made. Has joy stick control. What a pleasure backing in off road with the low range. I run Altec and Holan buckets every day but nothing holds a candle to a Hi Ranger.

I repped ya fer that one, lol.

Guess what has me lol-ing all over the place, one word- " I have to get my trailer out of impound." Well maybe a little more than one word.
I give you credit, you got balls. I don't know if I could admit my tree truck was let go into the woods. DDM should relinquish control of the picture of Enus to you.
Who's a seagull now craptalker?

Everyone's pretty much summed up pro's and con's. Sawdust can be a killer to the joystick. I've seen guys let them get so packed with debris the boom runs slow because the thing isn't throwing all the way, when they try to reef on the handle it will actually break the linkage.

Replacement parts for linkages and hardware are cheap but when you break the control head get ready to empty your wallet. Newer units are now insulated. The control head is fiberglass or a plastic material, and the linkage rods have insulated inserts in them, so there a little more $ to repair. I had a link to a lawsuit that involved a worker getting electricuted when a hot wire hit the control and him at the same time, operator error not having a blanket on the wire but it might not have happened if the controller was insulated. We even have to test the dielectic stregnth of the insulated controllers now.

All in all make sure to replace the boot if it rips, clean regularly, keep the adjustments up, and most important DO NOT reef on the thing, if it doesn't want to move somethings wrong - get it checked out.

I would think something else caused that problem either wrong fluid
or the bird nest in the jumper! It if tested and with proper fluid should
make no differance. Granted insulated may have helped but something
was not up to snuff there! Unless it was open wire secondaries
or rubbed raw triplex where hot and ground could be made!
Phase to phase or ground will light you up no matter how
good a lift is.

Last edited:
Back