Used climbing gear anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
I have a couple of trees in my yard, not real big but close enough and leaning enough to the house that they are going to have to come down. I used to do a bit of climbing in my younger years, and figured that now was as good as any time to strap on some claws and take those leaners down in pieces, but have entirely struck out finding some used gear. Have been watching on FleaBay, but not a lot going for a reasonable price.
I would just plop a ladder against them and take them down that way, but a friend has a 3 trees in his yard that need to come down as well and a ladder wont get it with the hillside being so steep and loose.
Anyone with any gear to get rid of, or seen any around?

I would only do something like that with a bucket truck/hard hat. Then you can safely get away from and above what you are cutting. (Then also use ropes to safely lower down what you are cutting.)

I would not buy any used climbing or safety rope as not knowing it's history.
When a climbing rope is retired from lifeline use they are usually put into light duty rigging use.
Be careful.:)

Have more fun...

Hire an arborist...set up your lawn chair, smoke a cigar, drink a guiness, just dont give him any advice. Better yet, hire a female arborist - do they ever climb topless?

A lift or bucket truck is out of the question for my buddies place, there is no way of getting to the tree due to the steep hillside. Sadly, it is close enough that if it fell downhill, the way that it is leaning, its going to get his new barn. Doggone tree is to tall to take down in one piece.
My place is another story, a bucket truck could drive right up and take it down in pieces.
I just hate to hire anything done that I can do myself! I cant remember the last time that I hired anyone besides the guy that pumped out my septic tank!:chainsaw:
yeah, I know we all got to make a living, and the smart thing would be to hire it done, but I spent most of my teenage years hung on a rope, and a number of times since then to keep my wits sharpened. Unfortunatly I lost all my gear in my divorce to my first wife including all my saws or I wouldnt even be asking this question!

Why not rent a man lift? Split the cost. And keep your self safe. When was the last time you where a tree?

umm, last time I was a tree? Hmmm, well,.....I guess I have never BEEN a tree. Did you mean last time I was in a tree? Well,that was a little sooner, last summer I spent 3 weeks taking down a stand of white oak alongside my barn way out in the boonies.

Hire an arborist...set up your lawn chair, smoke a cigar, drink a guiness, just dont give him any advice. Better yet, hire a female arborist - do they ever climb topless?

Yep, that would be really entertaining until the wife popped out for a visit. I dont know who she would be madder at, her for climbing topless, or me for watching.....

Back