Used saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep an eye at auctions (NOT eBay), pawn shops, hardware stores that actually service them, and Craig's List. Also, look on Facebook for groups in your area, selling tools, or "men's things". I'm in a very rural area of Oklahoma, and we've got dozens of groups like that, around here, on Facebook.
Otherwise, yard sales, and estate sales, are usually decent places.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i've never really paid anything for parts saws. at most, i might give a case of beer for something with potential. other then that with man time and parts bringing said saw back there's no money in it. i never buy from pawn shops ever. there is no money to be made with saws from a pawn shop 99% of the time. if you just want a user that's a different story but i got my fleet so my builds are for fun and flipping material later. what i've done is i fix saws for a few buddies free and in return they are my eyes an ears. this way, if they are at their buddies buddies buddies place and see a saw on the shop floor and ask for me it ends up with me if it is in need of work. i've ended up with a ton of saws this way. i've got alot of buddies and everyone know me as the saw guy so i get quite a few saws without even trying. just yesterday my buddy fynn brought me a 268 with no spark. was the piece glued an the coil that the main lead threads into pulled out. 10 minutes later it was running and sold to one of the local natives for $300 LOL all fynn wanted was a case of beer. DONE DEAL! LOL

I've never bought a chainsaw, at a pawn shop, but I have bought several other power tools there. Buy cheap, and make them demonstrate. No demonstrate, no cash. But, it still must be dirt cheap. I built 2 chicken coops and dozens of smaller crates, out of a $10 table saw and $15 compound miter saw, from a pawn shop. Made enough money selling the, to buy all new, top of the line DeWalt stuff. Pawn shop stuff will get you by. But, you're looking for PARTS machines. Just getting the best you can get, as cheap as you can, is the way to go. No matter where you get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most of us have developed "honey holes" for ourselves. There are several chainsaw shops I know about and wont cough up the location to b/c they are a steady source of cheap fun... Like the other guys said... Ask/look around for small engine shops. Even if the owner doesn't have anything in is shop he may know a local guy that does. Also check with small/midsize local tree services. They are always breaking stuff and have a handful of stuff sitting in the back of their shop that they rob parts off of.

Be friendly and ask questions and bring coffee/donuts to the local shops. It will pay off.

Also, find out where the local old guys hang out for coffee and chat them up. I have gotten more than a few leads off the local coffee club that I would have never found otherwise.

Contrary to the opinion above, I have found some great deals at pawn shops. To wit, a running Stihl 044 for $100 and running Stihl 460 for $130 are a couple I still have.

Almost all my saws have been, free.

Look at shops with BAD service depts. Those that will sell you a OEM P/C kit but won't do a vac/pres test.

Craigs has been good to me. A 056M that just needed oiler work, with a clean 026 that had a roached piston, new 20" ES bar, several chains: $50

My first 038M, from a logger friend. Free. It had sawdust in the recoil and carb. But piston/cyl looked neewby. It was worth a new 25" ES bar and I still have it.

A couple 038S from landscape friend. Siezed, but free. Those were my first 038S to 038M conversions. First one was expensive, as it had a NOS parts including P/C kit, but under $300 with all NOS parts. It runs like a naked ape.

Last score was CL, a 064, 028S, 024S and 026. The 064 was the prize but it is early vintage and still needs ignition parts, but has HD AF and is complete. 028S is missing some parts but mint mahle P/C. The 024S/026 could be runners but will make good parts saws. That was expensive at $150.

My first 036 was $100 from a friend in need out of cash. The second 036 was a seized/free. That got cleaned up with help from AS. All NOS parts and almost new condition. Before the site crashed there were some pics on that project, that helped some here.

my favorite used to be the government auction sites, however the more people have found them the more the prices have jumped to a point where you get a good deal if you are keeping the saw but a bad deal if you're trying to make money. my best scores have been putting a craigslist want ad up. it often times takes a lot longer for anything good to come up but there have been some good ones. the other benefit is you're usually the only one in contact with them so you're not racing to get there before anyone else.

I have a CL ad "WTB: Non running chainsaws". Vast majority of replies are homeowner Poulans where ethanol gas has sat for years. However, I did get a Poulan 380 and Husky 50 this way for real cheap.

Latest posts

Back