Using a hand winch truck crane to dump a trailer/wagon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbuildalot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am debating getting one of these to mount on the tongue of my woods trailer. It would serve a couple purposes. Mainly it would enable me to dump the load by welding a D ring to the base of the bed frame, and also it would enable me to lift heavy objects into the trailer such as rocks, large rounds, stumps, implements, etc.

The other nice feature would be whatever vehicle I tow the trailer with I wouldn't be relying on that vehicle to have hydraulics as would be the case with a hydraulic cylinder.

My biggest concerns would be:

* It would take a long time to crank the winch

* There would be twisting forces on the trailer frame, so I would have to build outriggers (not a big deal)

It'd be similar to the DR Versa-trailer, minus the pricetag.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200672545_200672545

If you’re talking about a boat trailer type winch then there are 2 answers. A standard winch would be slow however the higher end winch line up does have a higher retrieve rate. But like anything else you’re going to pay more.

IMG_1064.JPG Depending on capacity and design a hand winch can work for a dump trailer. I built a 2 yard capacity trailer insert for mulched leaves and pine needles. The time to dump and lower are quicker than my cousin's hydraulic dump trailer.

A little more info.

The trailer I will be using it on is 40" w x 72" long with 24" high sides. So approx. 40 cu ft. capacity. I may be using it on a larger 4' x 8' dump trailer down the road. Uses will be cordwood, which would be the heaviest use, leaves, grass clippings, mulch, brush, etc.

It is a insert that attaches to a existing trailer. I made it out of a IBC tote that I cut in half then spliced it together, end to end. It is 4' x 7' x 2' deep. Was going to line it with a tarp but I found a plastic 4'x 20' solar pool heater panel at the local dump that worked perfect to line the bottom and sides.
Because of the light weight liner I only use it for soft material ,leaves, grass clippings, and mulch.
The winch mast has a receiver that excepts either a 12 volt winch or a hand operated boat winch. The hand winch works so quick and easy I never bothered with the electric.

Latest posts

Back