using my milled wood -- board and batten siding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More pics. I had planned all year to go out in the fall and mill up a bunch of boards for batten siding on my shed.

I was thinking of milling fir in 3/4~1/2" thickness though.

Red Oak for siding ? Man, I would die to have oak or walnut to mill for furniture and cabinets. But, I guess you use what is available in your area. Oak siding looks nice.

thanks the red oak here on L I is big 40 to 60" dba lots to mill tom trees

j5lfm8.jpg

Wow, I am drooling over Tom's stack of oak boards. :heart::heart::heart: Thanks for posting those pics.

Looks like you are in need of a drying shed, and some sealer for the ends. Those boards are checking pretty bad at the ends.

Nice chain sharpening setup, by the way.

Wow, I am drooling over Tom's stack of oak boards. :heart::heart::heart: Thanks for posting those pics.

Looks like you are in need of a drying shed, and some sealer for the ends. Those boards are checking pretty bad at the ends.

Nice chain sharpening setup, by the way.

no i found that if you nail the wood up wet it works better let it dry no to much checking i cut the wood over size the trim to fit thanks tom trees:cheers:

Finished siding on the rear gable end. Nothing fancy, but perhaps some day my grandchildren will brag about how about how grandpa made those boards with his bare hands (and a Stihl chainsaw). Plus, this wood was salvaged from local blown down trees that would have otherwise rotted. It doesn't get much more environmentally friendly than that.
rear_gable_siding.jpg

Looks good mtngun-how'd you get the concrete so straight and even with the log ends without coating the log ends? BTW looks like God's country-nice place you have there!

Looks good mtngun-how'd you get the concrete so straight and even with the log ends without coating the log ends? BTW looks like God's country-nice place you have there!

The secret is ..... take the picture from a distance, LOL!. The cordwood wall started out pretty rough and not-so-straight but practice makes perfect and it got better as I worked my way up the wall. After some experimentation, I settled on letting the log ends protrude 1/4", just enough to give the wall a little texture and provide a corner for chinking. Some people prefer to make it flush with the wall, though.

Not God's country, more like ranching country as I am surrounded by large ranches and their cows and goats and the flies that go with them, but it's as close as I will come to God's country until I win the lottery.

Tom Trees, I was referring to the checking on the stacked boards. Your siding is handsome, but the oak in the stack is begging for a little TLC.

Milled up some WRC BnB for a renovation project this summer. turned out nice!
attachment.php
one of my "hired hands(older son)"
attachment.php

we actually milled all the timbers, studs and 2x6 floor joists of doug fir. will have to get some more interior pics up later

Back