Using "Round Up" around trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe we should start a club: Mulch Monsters Anonymous. :p
Seriously, that would be a great sub forum, here, or a facebook group.

I was looking at every yard on my way to and from work yesterday and although most of the yards are kept well and weeds wacked around tree trunks, I didn't see any mulch.
One thing, for sure, I'm going to have the pettiest yard in the area!
Thanks for getting me addicted to mulch.:)

I think my OCD is showing... :laughing: I wlked into the garden shop and said, "I'm back. Guess what I want?" and three people, one I hadn't seen before, shouted out "MULCH!!" :oops: Then one asked what I was doing with all that mulch. Duh?! I said I'd bring a picture.... and that I was going to need four more yards to finish off one half of the yard. :D

Here's what $3 worth of newspaper looks like
DSC01682.JPG
:p

Was able to do five more trees today... garden center closed at noon:(
Eleven done, four more to go - on this side of the drive. Not quite as many on the other side - thankfully! :)
I may put those off until fall and get back to trimming with the new sawzall. Or not. :laughing:
I just can't get over what an improvement a bit of mulch makes.
I think tomorrow I'm going to saw the dead limbs out of the cherry and Buckeye trees.
DSC01683 - Copy.JPG

Looks great TNT!

FWIW round up won't hurt anything. You would have to bore holes in the tree and pour a large amount of concentrate in there to do any damage.

What he said. I've sprayed Thousands of gallons of mix around trees that had Round Up in it. I promise you won't damage the tree.

Looks great TNT!

What he said. I've sprayed Thousands of gallons of mix around trees that had Round Up in it. I promise you won't damage the tree.
First rule of being a consultant. Never say anything definitive if you can't control every aspect of the situation. Always leave yourself an out.

The Round-up thread has morphed into The Mulch thread.:D
So far, I haven't even opened the bottle of Round-up... been using the newspaper and mulch only around the trees.
You can bet your bippy (anyone here old enough to remember that line?? :rolleyes: ) anything pops up from under the mulch will get zapped with the Round-up.
Today I put down mulch around five trees, a blueberry bush, and two bird bath/feeder islands.
Paid for four yards today... one down three to go.:cheers:

Its amazing what a topdressing can do to improve the looks of a landscape. Not to mention the real benefits like weed suppression and moisture retention.
It really is! For very little investment in money and time, it really makes a huge difference in appearance. Only one mess-up so far... one of the cats, or the dog, tore up a portion of the island around the bird feeder. It was the last of that run and I didn't put it on thick enough. Hopefully another couple of inches will solve that problem. :yes:

Isn't that the same as a politician? Hmm; well come to think about it, George did cut down that cherry tree :rolleyes:

Hah!

I was going to say the same, but I couldn't decide between Politician, Wisdom, or Chicken S**t. Decided to play nice...Lmao!

You can say it's chicken s^^t but if you can't control all aspects of the situation, it's the ones you can't control that will burn you.

I don't know how you can say anything really definitive about a tree, because there is so much in the tree you can't see or control.

You can say it's chicken s^^t but if you can't control all aspects of the situation, it's the ones you can't control that will burn you.

I don't know how you can say anything really definitive about a tree, because there is so much in the tree you can't see or control.
True and species, monocots, dicots, specific epithets, site conditions, over fertilization, soil structures ,textures etc. Organic mulch as long as not too thick or in areas prone to stay wet are easy prescription to many problems in landscapes that can help curtail over use of herbicides imho.

Back