value of residential d fir

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junkhound

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
longtime member, (ArtB) but forgot pw and phone number changed so could not verify account for new PW so new user name.

Anyway here in high priced Seattle area, neighbor sold his 2 acres for a few million and gonna get 12 houses plopped there. Houses will be in the million and a half range.

I have 5ea 18" dia D Fir about 1 ft from one 300 ft long property line (planted 20+ years ago) and the developer wants to remove those 5 tree. Lot more trees mut farther away than 1 ft from property line.

Not asking for cash from developer, but for equivalent charitable donation from the developer.

How much should I set the value of those tree at?

They also want to remove a small shed on my property, I'll price that as a 'tuff shed' equivalent replacement. One of the trees is a shed corner support.

Additionally, there are 4ea 2 ft dia bigleaf maple about 3 ft from property line leaning they might want gone, value? .

They have little value for timber. Few mills will even take yard trees, they're too likely to have metal in them that will damage the equipment.

They have a lot more value as shade or barrier or sentimental reasons or just giving the right feel to your property. Especially if they're close to your house and even more if you don't have a lot of land. Personally I like like big leaf maples, they're pretty trees. I have no idea how to value them for this except that it's way more than any other valuation you could make.

If they want to whack your trees and remove your shed, will they be using your property termporarily? If so charge for that too.

Oh man I would chisel these guys for every penny. Why do they need your trees and your shed? That can't be the end of it. They need to trench or grade right along the property line or maybe drive equipment on your side.
An 18" DF is just a pecker pole. No real loss. They want to write you a check and get you to sign something. Fine. 12 $1.5m houses? They have deep pockets. Make it expensive.

longtime member, (ArtB) but forgot pw and phone number changed so could not verify account for new PW so new user name.

Anyway here in high priced Seattle area, neighbor sold his 2 acres for a few million and gonna get 12 houses plopped there. Houses will be in the million and a half range.

I have 5ea 18" dia D Fir about 1 ft from one 300 ft long property line (planted 20+ years ago) and the developer wants to remove those 5 tree. Lot more trees mut farther away than 1 ft from property line.

Not asking for cash from developer, but for equivalent charitable donation from the developer.

How much should I set the value of those tree at?

They also want to remove a small shed on my property, I'll price that as a 'tuff shed' equivalent replacement. One of the trees is a shed corner support.

Additionally, there are 4ea 2 ft dia bigleaf maple about 3 ft from property line leaning they might want gone, value? .
Doug fir is paying aprox 600-700 per 1k BF right now, you probably have around 1000 bf if you squint, and hold yer nose just right.
The maple unless its figure wood, and a 2' tree is not likely to have any figure is maybe worth 100 per 1k if you're very lucky there might be 500bf in those 4 trees thats useable, PNW Hardwoods in general are in the pooper, maple especially

In short whatchew got there isn't worth a whole lot, if you factor in trucking, cutting and processing.
Take a couple few hundred and the new shed and call it a day.
For the record I am a logger that specializes in small lot residential logging and land clearing, in Western Warshington (Snohomish county)

You don't have to sell it for market value. They don't want the lumber, they want them out of the way.
they are clearing a 2 acre site, they are not in the way, if dude don't want to take them, they will leave them, and when we get the next windstorm, they will fall anyway, the developers are offering a favor

The ground on that 2 acre site is going to get tore the hell up, stumped dug up, turned and sifted, any borderline leave trees will become very unstable for the next several years, the developer and the eventual new owners of them new houses, are not liable for trees not on their property, however after having been given the opportunity for a simple solution, the owner of the land they live on can be liable if they do fall on neighbors house.
To be absolutely clear, Mossyrock is waayyyyyyy outside my service area, and I have no affiliations with whomever is doing the work,

They have little value for timber. Few mills will even take yard trees, they're too likely to have metal in them that will damage the equipment.

They have a lot more value as shade or barrier or sentimental reasons or just giving the right feel to your property. Especially if they're close to your house and even more if you don't have a lot of land. Personally I like like big leaf maples, they're pretty trees. I have no idea how to value them for this except that it's way more than any other valuation you could make.

If they want to whack your trees and remove your shed, will they be using your property termporarily? If so charge for that too.
EVERY mill here has metal detectors, yard trees are not a problem. Squirrel huggers with hammers and spikes ARE a problem even on FS and DNR ground. (or idiots with guns that like to shoot into random trees cause? bubba's kinda dumb?)

they are clearing a 2 acre site, they are not in the way, if dude don't want to take them, they will leave them, and when we get the next windstorm, they will fall anyway, the developers are offering a favor

The ground on that 2 acre site is going to get tore the hell up, stumped dug up, turned and sifted, any borderline leave trees will become very unstable for the next several years, the developer and the eventual new owners of them new houses, are not liable for trees not on their property, however after having been given the opportunity for a simple solution, the owner of the land they live on can be liable if they do fall on neighbors house.
To be absolutely clear, Mossyrock is waayyyyyyy outside my service area, and I have no affiliations with whomever is doing the work,
You got way more info out of OP's post than I did. Still doesn't explain why they want the shed.

The cash value of the trees and shed are irrelevant. They are yours and the developer has zero right to dictate what occurs with them. I would not give a turd what the commercial value is worth, principle has to stand for something .

should find out what else is planned for that area.

raw land over $1 million per acre, every scrap getting built on. New homes nearby are over $1.5 million. Typically 4000+ sq ft houses on 8k sq ft lot.
Realtor definition 'huge back yard' means you cannot touch the back fence while nolding the back door knob.

My heirs (< 15 years likely) will get taxed out of my 'city' 3+ acres and the trees all gone then anyway.

have already told the developer that other professional realtor friend in the area have told me to stick the developer for every dime.

The city/county/school/water/sewer/etc AHJs here have OVER $50k mitigation/fees per 8k sq ft lots, plus antother $10K plus building permit fees in addition to land costs. .

Even in rural forest areas here like near Mossyrock ( 1 house max per 20 acres iirc) raw land is 20k acre vs. 800 acre in 40 acre sizes back when I bought some forest land in the 70's.

You got way more info out of OP's post than I did. Still doesn't explain why they want the shed.
that clear it up for you?
also, this is the type of work I get involved in, while I have no idea who is doing the clearing, I do know the mentality, they'll make the offer, and if you want to turn the screws on em and make a buck, them trees will be left standing.

that clear it up for you?
It clears up the shed issue. You still assumed a lot from a little information.. I have done quite a bit of this type of work myself, but my experience was always as a tradesman, not a contractor. Therefore your perspective might be better informed than mine. My first assumption is that they need to to trench or grade along the property line in a way that will probably kill the trees anyway. That, or they are blocking the view from the new homesites. When I used to build homes in coastal CA we came up against these scenarios all the time. It frequently resulted in lawsuits and bad blood between neighbors. It's always easier to just write a check early on and get these problems out of the way. Some homeowners would let their cherished trees go for nothing just because they wanted to seem helpful, other got a big fat check and maybe some free sitework thrown into the bargain.

edit to add:
And keep in mind at 20 something years old, with a truck, a chainsaw, and zero training; I was the tree guy. Better to get a few quotes from professionals to bring to the table along with whatever dollar figure the trees represent to you.

It clears up the shed issue. You still assumed a lot from a little information.. I have done quite a bit of this type of work myself, but my experience was always as a tradesman, not a contractor. Therefore your perspective might be better informed than mine. My first assumption is that they need to to trench or grade along the property line in a way that will probably kill the trees anyway. That, or they are blocking the view from the new homesites. When I used to build homes in coastal CA we came up against these scenarios all the time. It frequently resulted in lawsuits and bad blood between neighbors. It's always easier to just write a check early on and get these problems out of the way. Some homeowners would let their cherished trees go for nothing just because they wanted to seem helpful, other got a big fat check and maybe some free sitework thrown into the bargain.

edit to add:
And keep in mind at 20 something years old, with a truck, a chainsaw, and zero training; I was the tree guy. Better to get a few quotes from professionals to bring to the table along with whatever dollar figure the trees represent to you.
this ain't caliphornia... and the contractors around here could care less.
Though for underground stuff, as a rule of thumb every effort is made to keep utilities on the property being developed, unless there is a legally binding right of way, which I doubt as there is already a home onsite so access is established.
There's assuming, and there's understanding the situation, while yes I do assume the intentions of the contractor, its not without basis.

YA, BUT WE IZZ GETTING CLOSE TO CALIFORNICATED.

Surprised I got this many early responses, so will add some added data. Think I already said the new development will be 12 houses upwards of one and a half milllion $$ each.

No view issues, just more trees behind the ones in question.

With nearly 700 (seven hundred) trees on this 3+ acre property (my Christmas tree farm gat away from me <G>) not really an issue about wanting those specific trees.

Most of what pisses me off is that the city wants to force the developer to remove the trees from another persons private property for the city benefit (to not have to trim) , and this is a city that touts itself as 'tree city' and requires an act of city council before a private citizen can cut more than 6 trees on his OWN land.

I know that if I am adamant about keeping the trees, the city will have some inspector really do a job on my heirs whenever my property gets annexed after I die. I'd already have been taxed out of my home here if not relatively well off due to long term investments.

This commie state just passed a law that once a city can surround you (then calls you an island community) they can force annexation . Just happened to grand-daughters 1000 home community near olympia wa, of course taxes went up..

Latest posts

Back