Vandals Slash Giant Redwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Check out this big Redwood that looks like it's dozey in the centre and ready to fall anyway. I'm sure there is enough dead snags in the Golden State enough for every raptor.
If I were the vandal, I'd leave a rocked out .325 chain with 300 drivers in the area with Tommy Fales finger prints on it, just to throw off the forensic forest detectives. :blob2:
Luna-Chain-Sawed1.jpg

http://www.mindfully.org/Heritage/Luna-Chain-Sawed.htm

John

Last edited:
Diesel JD

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
What the heck is the point of doing something like that? I understand timber cutters cutting old growth for a living under certain conditions.....but just to screw it up?! Nauseating!

Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
It definitely looks like someone setup somebody else to do it. I don't think a timber faller could even be bothered to do the dirty work. Surely a 12 volt electric saw was used to girdle it so as not to draw attention, however, it would be the sawdust, straightness, and thickness of kerf that would give the tell tale clues I suppose.
John

Diesel JD

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
No....a pro timber faller would not..... I wasn't saying that. I was saying I understand people making a living by cutting down timber but just screwing it up is the pits! I guess you could tell the chain type if it was new, but all of us file so differently once it's out of the package its anyone's guess.

mktest

mktest

ArboristSite Member
Attacking innocent trees, peacefully minding their own business, what has the world come to? :(

I know that every tree's deepest wish is to become firewood, but only when the time is right. Not like this. Not like that.

My heart goes thumping faster after reading this than after watching the news, where I'm sure lots of misery was reported. Strange.

Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
that is horrible that someone has so little respect for nature to do that. that tree probably wont live from that one, though it IS POSSIBLE, though not likely that it will survive it. time will tell.

Some people are just so shameless they couldnt care less who or what they kill/destroy.

Diesel JD

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
Never said it was...I think logging in a responsible manner is actually good for teh environment! It is after all in you professional loggers financial best interests as well as the timber companies to hvae the forest around forever, much moreso than the limousine liberals! Did y'all know we now have more trees here than we did 60-70 years ago? Y'all do good hard work....honorable decent work in my opinion.

Old Monkey

Old Monkey

Addicted to ArboristSite
More trees in and of itself is not always a good thing. Thick stands of one type of tree are a poor replacement for mixed forests. Redwoods can live for thousands of years with trunk cavities like that. Redwoods stump sprout fabulously well so that baby could live another thousand years. Would loggers cut down every last tree? If the money was good? I certainly don't know. The problem is we all believe the science that supports what we already believe. Its hard to search for the truth without bias.

eyolf

eyolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
When I was a young kid, even a young man, the logging industry in my state was still kind of a wild-west thing. Lots and lots of "rustling", lots of high-grading. I've seen many timber sales where the logger moved in and out as quick as he could without a thought for the long-term consequences. Consequences like killing off all the trout in a little trout stream about a mile from my house...partly due to the loss of shade and cover, but probably more because of the logger's D7. Next closest trout water was 20 miles away.

I think the industry is pretty clean and sober now. The old, bad guys are out of it...or dead. The state or county foresters do a real good job of overseeing the logger...if his contract says to remove everything above 3", and he just tries to run off with all the white pine or red oak, he'll never sell any of the timber, never get any more to cut, and maybe even go to the clink for a while.

I like it that way.

Bill G

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Gypo Logger said:
................. Although logging is a disruptive activity, it is not descructive to the environment such as farming ................. John
http://www.ioe.ac.uk/nof/tfi/rainforest/topic_40.htm

John,

Although I have agreed with you on very many points over the years I have to disagree on this one. Obviously I agree loogging is a enviromental freindly operation when done right why did you choose to attack farming ? What exactly are you referring to. If it is the dependeny on Monsanto then yes that is not a good thing. You need to remember the vast majority of farmers are EXTREMELY emviromentally freindly. Not all of us are in bed with Monsanto. The farmer is a very enviromential freindly person. That is why their are millions of acres of farmland taken out ouf production in the USA. We are currently taking a large amount of acres out of production to create a wetland area. We will not profit from this choice.

Bill

lesorubcheek

lesorubcheek

Addicted to ArboristSite
Farmers in the southeast Alabama region where I'm from provide more wildlife habitat and promote more outdoor conservation efforts than any other group that I'm aware of. Most are very wise in crop rotation and tilling techniques to minimize soil erosion. Our farm has some of the finest old growth oaks and cypresses you'd ever see. Also, before you slam farmers in the US, its wise to consider an alternative food source first. Would you prefer all food to be imported from Mexico and other south of the border countries (which tons of it already is) where pesticide/herbicide restrictions don't apply as in the US? I prefer to know what been applied to the food that our family eats.

Dan

Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
I think that it is fair to say that both logging and farming have been disruptive to the enviroment, however, when loggers fell timber they don't yank out the roots and turn it into pasture. A large percentage of N.A. was already treeless, hence the buffalo.
It has been really the Great Lakes region where the largest clearcuts were made of huge tracts of timber in order to raise cattle. In the early days, cleared land meant prosperity and ownership. This isn't a farmer bashing comeback, it's really a comment on how the farming has influenced the forest. But while we are on the subject, farmers are always whining about something. Like the bumper sticker I always see.
"Did You Eat Today? Thank a Farmer".
Well I think I'm gonna get a bumper sticker that says, "Did You Wipe Your A$$ Today? Thank a Logger."
That otta get the pig farmers and sheep herders riled up!
John

BlueRidgeMark

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
lesorubcheek said:
Would you prefer all food to be imported from Mexico and other south of the border countries (which tons of it already is) where pesticide/herbicide restrictions don't apply as in the US? I prefer to know what been applied to the food that our family eats.

Herbicides, pesticides, and some ... uh, interesting fertilizers. Like poo poo.

HUMAN poo poo. What a great foliar fertilizer for your veggies!
puke.gif

Okay, dare we say the truth here? Both farmers and loggers have done serious damage in the past, and both groups are much better at caring for the environment than they used to be, there are bad actors in both groups, and both are essential to our country.

Okay?

:)

spacemule

spacemule

The Peanut Gallery
I say you're all a bunch of lilly-livered-loonies. Who needs farms to eat? I'm perfectly content going to the grocery store for my food. Who needs lumber? If the trees are let to grow thick, they'll keep us sheltered. Farmers and loggers are necrophiliac murderers bent on pleasing themselves in their cold, dark destruction. ;)

Latest posts