vermeer 1250 gushing oil out the dipstick?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magicmic

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could tell me why my 1995 vermeer 1250 is gushing oil out of the dipstick? It started after i changed the fuel filter ,and forgot to prime the fuel system.I got some air in the line and i used some starter fluid to try and start it up.After getting it started i noticed an oil leak ,and it was coming from the dipstick.The proper amont of oil is in it so, i know its not overfilled.I hope somebody can help.

The only thing I know of that will cause that is a cylinder cracked to the crankcase, thereby pressureizing the crankcase, and pushing oil out. Thats the reason I dislike ether so much, easy to get a big detonation, and wreck the engine.
For your and your chipper's sake, I hope I'm wrong.
-Ralph

Cracked cylinder= new block for the motor

Cracked piston= just depends

I agree, the crankcase is under pressure, from a piston I would bet, but perhaps a cylinder.

How does it run now? Does the oil "gush" faster as the RPM's go up?

I was Told once to Soak a Rag in Brake fluid and cover it over the air intake to substitute Ether. I tried it once on a Diesel F-350 Worker rather well.

Check to make sure the crankcase breather is working properly.

Apart from that, you're pretty much screwed.

Might get lucky if its the block, if your cylinders are the sleeved kind, pull the piston and rod, and pull the sleeve and put in your new one (kinda watered that down), and reinstall your piston and rod (use a new bearing). If a piston, buy a new one, have it pressed onto the rod, get new bearings, and put it back.
At a shop, either will be a major price job. If you do your own stuff..... lots less
Good luck with it.
-Ralph

You'll have to take it apart to know exactly what it is. Could be a busted ring letting pressure into the crank case, but since you mentioned the either I would bet that there is a hole in the piston.
I am assuming that you have the Perkins engine, so parts are fairly pricy. I went through a similar thing year before last. I bought a rebuilt engine at a cost of about $4200.00 pluss core charge, my block was still good so I got the core back.
I'll bet it's a piston, so you could patch it with a new piston & rings, but when you have it torn down why not just rebuild it? :blob2:

I know it is probably too late for you, but when changing fuel filters, always fill the filter with diesel before you install it. If you got air in the lines, crack the line to the injector open just enough to leak out some diesel. Prime and crank the engine. When you don't see bubbling, tighten the injector lines and you should be good to go. Sorry to hear about your engine.

iv'e seen deisel engines addicted to Ether won't start without a fix,i would personaly never use the stuff

I bought a 1250 last year that wouldn't start. The mechanic knew exactly what was wrong. He said ether kills perkins diesels. The piston skirts break off causing severe blow by. I lucked out, he had an almost new engine taken off a FedEx loader he sold me for $1500. I ended up with a low hour chipper with a new motor for 8 grand. A good way to start a cold 1250 is to remove the air filter and spray a flame from a can of WD40 into the intake.

Ether kills diesels period. You can get away with a little squirt here and there on a gasoline engine, but all diesels are high compression (some as high as 28:1 compression ratio, versus 11:1 for a high compression gasoline engine), and ether is much more explosive than deisel. High compression + volatile ether = pre detonation of the air/fuel mixture. Something's got to give. Don't squirt it into the intake of a high compression gasoline engine either.

Back