Vermeer 186 grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miko0618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Are these machines any good? A guy is selling one for $2000. It has a newer kohler engine and sharp cutters. He said the seals are bad on the self propel. I might do a couple stumps a week. Its just a service i am tired of sub contracting out.

That's just a toy. If I was just starting out again I would pick up a good Vermeer 630 which you can haul behind small truck, Also had a 4-wheeler I put in pick-up and If I fond I couldn't back truck and chipper into an area I used the 4-wheeler. Actually mine wasn't a four wheel but a Toro Sand-Pro I picked up for $500. Plenty of power to haul stumper. 630's A or B go for cheap money and have a 37 HP Wisc engine. I also I had a Vermeer 2465 that I put a 80HP Deutz diesel on it. Good Luck

I ran one of those for 10 years and I liked it. $2000 isn't a bad price for a tool you can make $100 per hour off of. They are top heavy so watch it on the side hills. Great for getting into back yards.

Seems more versatile than other pedestrian grinders, while others claim their new turntable design as revolution, vermeer had it 20 years ago.
I would give it a try.

Call vermeer for getting a quote for the leaking stuff, maybe it's more than just a seal (worn bearing, maybe causes need of replacing the whole part?!) oil on a customers pavement isn't fun, aside the environmental aspects.

He lowered the price to $1700. I think i'll get it. I have about $1000 in stumps waiting that i was going to sub out.

Miko, how did you make out with that 186? I'm in a situation similar to yours and would love any input..

I got a vermeer 186. 18hp briggs v- twin needs a head gasket. We're can I find parts for this it's 20 years old but is great

Back