Vermeer sc50tx lower gearbox leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just hauled home a low hour sc50tx. The gearbox started leaking on the way home. When we looked at the machine the wheel was rusty,dirty with no signs of someone trying to hide a leak. Is some leakage normal? Is it a big job to replace the seal? Thanks

Lower Seal fix

I owned one to those machines for a year or so and now I sub out my stumps just because of time constraints. Mine leaked also as I caught a piece
of fence and it punctured the seal when it rapped around. I took it back to the dealer and they were able to get a seal kit for me and had it fixed in know time. Good luck.

This one leaks if the cutter wheel is resting on the floor. It Doesn't seem to sling anything when running and if you park it with the wheel up it doesn't drip either. I can't get any bearing slop by wiggling the wheel and it's quite when running. I may just replace the seal anyways.

I'm not surprised that you can't feel any bearing movement when you think about it the shaft is so short it would probably be hard to detect.
I only noticed mine leaking when it sat for a while also, I don't think it would leak while turning only because all of the oil is being used during operation instead of sitting on the bottom of the gear box.
Mine is fixed and hasn't leaked since.
Good luck

Back