Very basic question = which mill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kieta13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Okay fellas, I am a 'newbie' and this is my first message post.

I plan on buying a chainsaw mill for cutting some pine and juniper with log diameters to not exceed 20 inches. I am hoping to use these planks for a ceiling in my new house.

What chainsaw mill (and chainsaw) would you recommend and where best to buy them? What 'add-ons' do you suggest to go with this set up?

Obviously this mill will be used only occasionally and for some relatively light-weight work.

Thanks ahead of time for your help!

ki-e-ta

Thre Alaskan small log mill sounds like it would fit you nicely.

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/491?mv_session_id=nbWJ4Bsn&product_sku=G777

As for the saw, you will get lots of opinions on this. It all depends on how much you want to spend, and how fast you want to get through the wood. I know I can put a 20" bar on my 660, and milling 13" Ash it still takes awhile. Sounds like what you are doing maybe softer wood, so somewhere around a 65 to 70 CC saw may fit the bill.

CaseyForrest said:
Thre Alaskan small log mill sounds like it would fit you nicely.
As for the saw, you will get lots of opinions on this. It all depends on how much you want to spend, and how fast you want to get through the wood. I know I can put a 20" bar on my 660, and milling 13" Ash it still takes awhile. Sounds like what you are doing maybe softer wood, so somewhere around a 65 to 70 CC saw may fit the bill.
Welcome to AS forum. Casey summed it up pretty well... You can get away with a 65-70cc saw as long as you will be in 12-14 inch softwood. Husky flavor, something like a 570, around $520, or a 575XP, around $600. If you want to mill larger wood you better step up to a 385XP or 395XP, but now your talking better part of a grand for the saw.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what you decide to do. Any chance you could post a pic of those native American flutes you mentioned in your profile? I'd like to see some of your work.

I would recommend the Logosol TimberJig. You should definitely use the Logosol (Stihl 63PMX) chain as it cuts much faster than 3/8" wide ripping chain. Either a 16" and 20" bar would do the job. This chain wont need as much power to cut.

The biggest problem with small logs is that they will roll on you as you saw. That is one benefit of the Logosol Woodworkers Mill, but that is probably more that you want to spend based on your description. You can rig up ways to keep the logs steady.

Regards,

Ted

I agree with Casey here. The small log mill would be about the right size for what you are wanting to mill. While you are at the Baileys site looking at mills check out their selection of Husqvarna saws, they have many to choose from. The 65 to 70 cc range as Casey said is going to do you fine but if you can afford a little bigger for about the same buck I believe that I would. Also check out Norwalk power equipment as they also carry Husqvarna products at very competitive prices. Good luck. Terry.

Basic question #2#3#4 --- 'mill'=pros&con --- bar size for mill?

Casey, Ted, Woodshop, Dusty,
Thanks for the help on question #1 fellas.

Question #2:
I looked at websites for both the Alaskan G777 and the Logosol Timber Jig.
What are the pros/cons of each?

Question #3:
I am leaning toward the Husky 570 (68cc) 28".
Will that work with the two mills mentioned above?

Question #4:
If I decided to go with the Husky 575 (73.5cc), there is only about $10 between each size. Does it make sense to get the biggest, i.e. 32"?

Photo posting = how? (Native American Flute)

Howdy 'Woodshop',

Per your request, I tried to post some pics of the Native American Flutes that I make. After about 30 minutes of trying, I still can't figure out how to post them???

In the mean time, some are shown on my web site:
www.CherryCows.com

I have even written a Shop Manual on how to make the Native American Flute. It also is on the web site.

Thank you for your interest.

I wouldn't recommend either one to anybody. They need to make up their on mind. But I will tell you that I use the Logosol and for the reasons Ted was talking about. The PMX63 low profile chain is a lot faster. You can get it through Logosol or Baileys has something like it. The big thing about the TimberJig over the Alaskan is you can add the big mill kit later and keep building up if you want to. Just adding the the guide bar makes a hell of a difference, and you can use more of the bar in cutting over what you can with the Alaskan.
Rodney

kieta13 said:

Question #2:

Question #3:

Question #4:
If I decided to go with the Husky 575 (73.5cc), there is only about $10 between each size. Does it make sense to get the biggest, i.e. 32"?

I dont know the answer to question 2, but Ill try the rest....

Husky 570 would get the job done you are in search of. Im sure the saw will pull a 28" bar, but probably not milling. If you need to use a bar that long, you should probably step up to a regular CSM. I regularly use a 28" in my mill with my 660, nearly 30 more cc's, and it groans at some of the milling I ask it to do. However, it will physically work with just about any mill.

As for a 570 over a 575 for bar length, I am assuming you are going to use the saw for more than milling. Im sure you can get away with a 28" on the 570 and 32" on the 575, if you use skip chain in a normal cross cutting situation. If all you are going to be milling is wood between 12" and 20", you really only need either a 20" or 24" bar. Most mills suck up about 2"-6" of the bar. Keep in mind a 20" log wont be 20" after you turn it into a cant.

It always makes sense to purchase the biggest saw you can if you are going to be milling with it.

kieta13 said:

Question #2:

Question #3:

Question #4:
I cant say anything about the Timberjig as I have never used one, But on the other hand I do have a 30 inch alaskan and an alaskan small mill. Both are very easy to take to the log for milling. They are both very light and can be carried with one hand with the saw in the mill. The small log mill is designed for saws with about a 20 inch bar and the larger alaskan mill comes in various sizes. As Casey said the mill will use up about 6 inches of your bar so a 30 inch mill will only mill about 24 inches and so on as you go up in size. The mills are also adjustable in size so it may be a good idea to buy a little bigger and have the option to go bigger in the future if you decide to.

I know the G777 is only $140, but I have used one, and it's not as easy to keep the thing strait and flat going down the log as the bigger Alaskan, the Granberg MKIII. Spend a few bucks more and get a 36" Granberg. I have never used the Timber Jig, but it is a little more expensive than the MKIII. It might be a bit more stable also, don't know. It does look like a little bit more fuss to setup and use than the MKIII, but again I HAVE NEVER USED ONE so just not sure. If you really want to use that thinner 3/8 LP ripping chain Rodney and Ted alluded to, you still can with the Granberg MKIII... I thought of making a loop and trying it myself on my 36 inch Granberg to see if it is indeed faster.

Basic question - "Let's wrap it up!"

Hopefully I have been able to properly digest the information that ALL of you have written.

Here is what I am thinking of doing:
Buy the largest Husky-570 which is 28".
To match it, buy the 30" Alaskan Mark III.

Does this sound okay, or am I not understanding something?

What other 'bells & whistles' should I consider and why?

Again, thanks fellas!

kieta13 said:
Hopefully I have been able to properly digest the information that ALL of you have written.

Here is what I am thinking of doing:
Buy the largest Husky-570 which is 28".
To match it, buy the 30" Alaskan Mark III.

Does this sound okay, or am I not understanding something?

What other 'bells & whistles' should I consider and why?

Again, thanks fellas!

That sounds about right. You shouldnt equate saw size with bar size though, you will get dissapointed in a hurry. Buying a saw based on the longest bar the manufacturer says it will handle is a misnomer, especially when milling.

As for other bells and whistles.....A cant hook makes rolling logs around a snap. Something to get the logs off the ground, woodshop made up a nice set of horses. A couple (4) wedges to keep each slab lifted off the log as you are taking cuts. A dust mask is almost a must. Hearing protection, eye protection, chaps and lots of oil and fuel.

Take it slow, there is nothing fast about milling with a chainsaw. Run the saw a bit on the rich side, and let the saw idle for a bit after a cut before you shut it off. Also, NEVER let the saw run out of fuel while holding it wide open in the cut, or anytime for that matter. Top off the fuel after every cut, sometimes in mid cut if you need to.

Last edited:
Back