VERY Lopsided Young Plum Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cara in Minn

Reaction score
I planted two plum trees last year in our backyard (one Alderman, one Superior). They came shipped from an online nursery bare root dormant. They are both alive and growing well but don't look like a "normal" tree with even branches growing in all directions. The one looks more like a Y and the other is extremely lopsided to the north/north-west. The one that looks like a Y I'm not too worried about, but the lopsided one is somewhat concerning. They are both growing well and look healthy other than their shape. What should I do about this lopsided plum tree, if anything? I tried using a piece of twine to pull the tree straight and anchored it with a big rock, but I think that caused some stress to the trunk because it has some vertical split marks on the bark of the trunk running length-wise now, so I took the twine off. When the wind blows it looks like the tree is doing a back-bend! These were planted in the spring of 2013 so this is their first full year.

Thank you,
Cara

CAM00783.jpgCAM00784.jpg CAM00785.jpg CAM00786.jpg

Well, you get what ya pay for, don't ya? Trees are an investment. You invested in the abnormal equivalent of penny stocks. My best advice is to yank those misshapen twigs out of the ground and invest in some mature viable trees from a reputable local nursery that show good structure for future growth. Jeff

They are still very young & will be fine. Are the saplings reaching for the sun? If so maintaining a symmetrical shape will be an uphill battle. I would guide the leaner firmly back vertical to a stake & let 'em grow. Like to see that mulch, good job.

Get a 12' bamboo stake. Pound it in the ground near the base and tie it up with wide nylon strap...not wire or twine. Don't tie it tight...just enough to pull it straight.

you can also prune the light side in the early spring, then fertilize that side in the late spring..................or just start over if you want a good tree. Fruit trees will destroy themselves in short order if not shaped well, they must be strong enough to handle the fruit load and weather. Keep them small and manage them yearly with the correct techniques and materials and you will enjoy a beautiful tree as well as some fresh yummies, or let them do there own thing and have a mess in 5 years.

Back