Video: Forest Management the Vermont Way

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islander

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I posted this in the climbers forum, but thought you might enjoy it here also...

Shelburne Farms is a stunningly beautiful preserved farm on the shores of Lake Champlain in Northern Vermont.

Thought you might enjoy this video of a day thinning the woods...

Lavigne Logging at Shelburne Farms [SIV297] - YouTube

I like the "yank and fall" move near the end...wow takes some skill and guts to pull that one off!

Enjoy!

(BTW...I have zero connection with Lavigne or Shelburne Farms)

:msp_thumbup:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yz3wDxh9XYQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just wondering: had some of the maples been tapped for sugaring?

If so, how did that affect the wood quality and log sorts?

Just wondering: had some of the maples been tapped for sugaring?

If so, how did that affect the wood quality and log sorts?

I got a 20 acre old maple stand that was tapped over 25 years ago. The normal tap height is usually from 4'-6', anything above the tap line is still grade lumber. The last time I selectively thinned mine, the log buyer had me cut some of them back and still paid veneer grade scale on the real clean ones. The wood in the tap range will have some defect around the tap site but it still has a lot of usable lumber in it.

Cool video! Wish I was out there or out and about in the woods somewhere in the PNW OJT with chainsaw into wood.

I posted this in the climbers forum, but thought you might enjoy it here also...

Shelburne Farms is a stunningly beautiful preserved farm on the shores of Lake Champlain in Northern Vermont.

Thought you might enjoy this video of a day thinning the woods...

Lavigne Logging at Shelburne Farms [SIV297] - YouTube

I like the "yank and fall" move near the end...wow takes some skill and guts to pull that one off!

Enjoy!

(BTW...I have zero connection with Lavigne or Shelburne Farms)

You from Island Pond?
Sweet video! I approve of thier saw choice;)
I haven't been there(Shelburne Farms) in years but its a really nice historical place.

Last edited:
Grand Isle actually. How about you?

Yup, that sure is a nice place. Was there for the Maker Faire back in October...nice place to visit in the fall.

Bet they're having fun with the wind today!

Grand Isle actually. How about you?

Yup, that sure is a nice place. Was there for the Maker Faire back in October...nice place to visit in the fall.

Bet they're having fun with the wind today!

That was my second guess! I'm from Jay.
That wind is nasty!

Latest posts

Back