Video of felling palm into pool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your videos are highly entertaining. Fun to see how others work. So was it a PITA to get the tree out of the pool?

did i see some wrecking of the decking? :rolleyes:

that piece of bording i mean ......

Funny to see palm felling, i once wanted to do some in Spain for a citycrew when on hollidays. They didnt let me do it wearing sawpants, helmet, earcaps, facescreen, etc. They did it theirself in shorts and with a old skool chainsaw from at least the 1960's..... :dizzy:

The last time I had the opportunity to fell some Palms was last summer. I was up at a friends vacation home for the weekend, helping with cleaning up the place, and I got to drop a couple of Washingtonia's into the empty field next door. No big deal really, just put a wedge cut in the base and send them over, but when the sixt foot tall palms hit the ground there came a screeching sound as about five hundred bats flew out of the wreckage. I thought it was pretty ****** cool. I stood there and gawked for a bit, and then proceeded to check my hair and clothing for bats. Help!

Matt

Nah bugger all damage, one board on top got broken but structural beams beneath in good nick. The pool sides got smashed good though.

There was no where else to fell it and even if the pool is empty it must have a fence ... we got all the big log out and fronds but left all the little stuff like berries etc for the bobcat which was going to demolish it later. It wasn't too bad to get it out, just had to cut it up.

We have the customer hold the camera a lot of the time, just hit record and let them in on the act ... they love it.

Hey Mattman, check out the size of our bats, we call them flying foxes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ekka, I offer you a free, long distance, critique. Cutting lower would have lessened the impact of the trunk on the decking. That could have been accomplished by cutting your scarf and then borecutting the back-cut out to the fence. Was the real reason you cut it high to shorten the effective length and prevent getting the bulk of the top on the opposite side decking?

Bats

Hey, those are cool bats. Are they pretty much only around Brizzy and farther North? I haven't seen any around Melbourne, and come to think of it while on Holiday in Cairns I didn't see any either.

Matt

Hey Stumper

It would have been too long cutting it closer to the deck and probably busted the fence on the other side. Also it was in a corner of the fence, just behind the palm the fence did a dog leg, right PITA of a spot and the trunk was rubbing on the fence, so just cut it up high.

Only one timber on the deck top broke which was ok, the main beams underneath is what the customer didn't want broken, he's going to re-use them for the new deck. The top boards were pretty old and half rotten.

Hey Mattman, I've only seen these bats around this area, I was originally from Adelaide and never seen them till I got up here. But don't quote me on that. There's a flamin huge colony of them just down the road, at dusk they fly out for a feed and return at dawn.

Hey Ekka,

Now, that's the way to slay palms!

Fantastic Video!!! I loved the smashin' the palm into the pool. No worries!

Latest posts

Back