Wait a minute...I know this wood...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who splits wood with an ax??? [video=youtube;Kldc_R9yfmQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Kldc_R9yfmQ[/video]

A Few Signs...

Ever notice that box elder bark is almost identical to ash? It's like a snake waiting to strike.

Hint: In the winter, look for leftover dry flowers hanging from the branches. Or, cut a small branch. If you see anything dep red in the center, walk away.

I've got a split sitting by the stove. It looks pretty dry now, but I'm going to let it sit for a time and then see just how awful the stuff is!

From the all the whining here it sounds like if I throw it on a lit fire the fire should just about go out?

Wood Doctor,

I've done that in fallen tree removal jobs in late winter.
Loaded an entire trailer of dead ash, got home and bark fell of a piece.
@$@#%#^ box elder.
Guess it pays to look a few times to make sure it's ash, cold weather helps little in long looks LOL

WoodHeatWarrior,

It's decent burning wood similar to silver maple for btu.
I have burnt 1 cord of it this fall/winter with no complaints other than a long wet season getting it mouldy when curing.

It smelt bad curing, then smelt good cured, then smelt mouldy at burn time.
A no win for me with box elder this year LOL

Ash Yes; Box Elder No

Wood Doctor,

I've done that in fallen tree removal jobs in late winter.
Loaded an entire trailer of dead ash, got home and bark fell of a piece.
@$@#%#^ box elder.
Guess it pays to look a few times to make sure it's ash, cold weather helps little in long looks LOL
All you need to do is cut a 1" branch to uncover the clone. That deep red color rests in the center even in the small pieces. I ran into this again just this week. I avoided at least six big box elder trees. Several ash trees were surrounding them, and believe me, the bark is almost identical. I processed the ash, of course. Ash remains #1 on my list of firewood species.

Wood Doctor,

Oh for sure those red streaks in the branches are a dead giveaway for box elder.
The smell cutting is usualy another.

my trouble a cold day so moving fast and loading fast and no smell cutting because it was all frozen and already on the ground dead.
I did see red on a few branches cut but was using red bar oil so not much thought about it.
The main tree had no red in it and very heavy so at loading time i was sure it was ash.
Mulched all the branches that the owner wanted to keep, loaded and only when i got home for a real good look. !@#!@$@#$@ LOL

With the prune monster i finally got rid of on my own property in spring i was starting to wonder what the heck i was going to do with 2 cords of it with a serious mouldy smell i guess from the dead tree wood.
A mild winter helped resolve it all though with decent heat from the sneaky box elder tree.

Last edited:
lone wolf,

Bowl makers and wood turners would line up to get that box elder in your picture.
Most of the elder i cut is near white with just the rare bit of red.

The only big trees at my place are Box elders, and they are all half dead/dying/suckering like crazy. I have cut down three of them already, and just roll the rotten stuff into a pile to burn later. But I have been keeping whats actually solid to burn. Might as well use it, I already spent the time to cut it up and to move it off the lawn...

That said, I would never go out of my way to drop one and cut it up. If someone gave it to me cut up, maybe....

Latest posts

Back