Walbro Carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't be back at the shop until Saturday. I can check Oscar Wilson, they usually have supersessions if a certain part is NLA (No Longer Available). If you have an OW vendor in your area you can give them a call and they might could tell you. There are probably other Craftsman/MTD vendors around, too.

That would be awesome. I found a used one on eBay looked ok in pics so put an offer on it. But new would probably be better.

So sears finally delivers the carb after I told them to cancel. It’s an mtd Carburetor 753-06728 hoping it’s compatible with my saw. Looks similar on the outside.

So I was able to find a crab on eBay. Ordered it this am and when i got home my wife says the neighbor dropped this off and hands me a carb that he had from an old weed eater that was the same. So I put it on got the main idle set now to try and get it dialed in. Thought I had it once but died as soon as I tried a test cut. Can’t wait to figure out how to set these carbs. Well at least now I’ll have a spare to when the eBay one shows up.

Does it rev up outside of the cut? How does it idle? I don't suppose you ever got a vacuum/pressure test done on it?

it idles ok maybe a little rough going to mess with it more when i get some time. It dies almost completely out after 2-3in of cutting and when you pull it out and throttle it slightly goes back to idle. I have not done a vacum/ pressure test i dont have anytthing to do it with.

Hmm, if you have an air leak somewhere, richening the mixture to compensate will eventually torch your engine. That being said if you're willing to try it, just turn out the high speed screw 1/4 turn at a time.
Do you have a tach to measure unloaded RPMs? I don't know what that saw is supposed to run at but most saws are in the 12-14k range. If it's really old 12k even might be a death sentence though.

I dont think its an airleak, pretty sure its just my setting up of the carb. Tach is on order, My wifes uncle said he would help me with it and hes good with small carbs. Just need to learn them without blowing anything up LOL

Let me ask you this, how did you originally adjust the carb? Low speed & hi speed will affect one another to some extent; if your low is too rich for example your high will be harder to tune. That's why I always start by tuning low side first, because then it's pretty much just a matter of tuning unloaded WOT rpm to whatever it needs to be.

Started with main idle to low then high. I’m going to go back and turn in l &h and the smooth out main and back to low

Let me suggest this: once you've got your tach, start by setting H & L to 1 turn out a piece. If it won't run on L = 1, go out 1/4 increments until it will idle without dying. That saw spec is probably to idle somewhere in the neighborhood of 3000.
Turn the idle screw until it's at 3500.
Next, turn your L in about 1/8 at a time, giving it a couple seconds between turns to let it catch up to the new settings, do this until the RPMs stop rising and instead begin to fall - but not so far that it stalls. This is what's known as lean drop off.
Next, turn the idle screw BACK to 3500, and follow this by turning the L a bit to make sure it's still at that drop off point. Might take a try or two to get it, don't worry if it bounces 50-100 RPM plus or minus.
Once it's stable at ~3500 and also at lean drop off, turn the L screw out until it drops down to about 3000 or maybe as low as 2800. Most Stihls run at 2800 but other brands seem to me to run better at 3000+. Give the throttle a squeeze at this point and it should have a nice crisp response, if it immediately bogs down and dies, it's too lean on the H screw. Chances are it will be, turn the H screw out 1/4 at a time until it has a nice crisp response then fine tune that until it's at spec. Probably around 12k.
Also don't hold it at 12k or anything near that high for more than a few seconds at a time.

You do that and you'll have a well tuned carb - if it STILL wants to die in the cut, you can try to richen it slightly on the H but if it's not easily overcome then I'd suspect other problems in the machine. Did you put the new carb on it yet?

Thanks I did put the new carb in. IF it wasn’t raining so hard I’d mess with it today but. I’ll try that hopeful that tach comes soon

Will do. Looks like tach will be Monday so hopefully can work on it some then

Thanks Sam finally got to mess around with it. Got it to idle run and now cut. The tach made it so much easier to do.

Yeah I could never go back to just tuning by ear. I've got a 4218 Poulan in now with a really unstable idle. Bounces from 2400-3500. It doesn't *sound* that bad but the tach lays it bare.
Anyway glad you got it sorted out, really happy to hear there was a good outcome for you.

Latest posts

Back