Wallenstein FX90 Skidding Winch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No damages , no injuries , no pics cuz I was in overdrive trying to get it out . Promptly drove it home and parked it for the day , didn't want to push my luck any further

Rob, that chain saw ought to do the job. Put a 42" bar on that bad boy & cut some slabs!

Johnzski, glad you're OK! Thanks for the reminder of what can happen. If that tractor had gone over, it would have taken more than a winch to set things right. I'm sure a lot of people on the forum can relate to your incident. For me, it was on a D2 Cat (no roll cage) sideways on the mud. It didn't roll, but I was shaking so hard I couldn't even shut it down for a couple of minutes.
Track machines love to slide sideways !

ive got a 66 9 n i got new . I use a homemade boom to move logs around in wood yard. But its all flat smooth ground , wouldn't want to try to drag logs in the woods with it . Think it would get wrong side up again .

Sawyer Rob: good to see the winch is working good! I live only 10 mins away from the manufacturer of these machines in ontario. I've never seen the winch in action yet but seen new ones that were just built in the yard.
I've used their Wallenstein stump grinders for tractors on some stumps.

Here's a good u-tube on them,

We managed to cut/split about 1/3 of the big blocks today, it's a big job for me, as my back sure isn't what it use to be! It's getting colder out, so i'm thinking i'll wait a few, before i get back to that job! lol

SR

Nice rig. It is hard to imagine how I would get along without a winch to bring up firewood and logs to the sawmill. I've also been looking at Tajfun winches. There are some benefits to a remote control.

Yes, it's PTO powered.....you keep the RPM just above an idle and the winch line has plenty of speed/power. On mine, it takes 30 PTO hp to get full power out of the winch, i haven't found anything i can't pull with my tractor just above an idle, then again i have it on a bigger tractor too.

Dave, Wallenstein offers a wireless remote, but i wanted to put my $$ into getting what i thought was the best winch mechanically, so i put my money into that, instead of a remote...

Anyway, i got my choises down to Farmi or Wallenstein, i liked the idea that Wallenstein is made in Canada instead of europe. I like the Wallenstein design and in my area, more Wallenstein dealers, also better prices and they were offering 3 skidding chains with the winch for FREE.

All the winches seem to work pretty good, but it looks to me like Farmi and Wallenstein have the best designs....

SR

Uniforest PTO winch + 50hp tractor + log forks with grab = lots of fun.

It's only a 4t winch, but with two snatch blocks, suitable anchor points, I haven't found anything it wont winch, yet.

Logs too big for the 3PH to lift one end of to help skid can at least be winched to where bigger gear can get to. The winch used to surprise me with what it can do. Now, I think I'll be more surprised if I find something it can't manage (if lucky, will get the chance on some monster gum trees in a steep gully this Summer). Have had to crank up the revs to the recommended PTO revs on some logs/turns or it will stall the tractor. Also need to be mindful of the turn hanging up because the front of the tractor gets awfully light in a hurry if I don't react fast enough.

Tajfun winches look great but were priced way out of my budget. Came down to Uniforest and Wallenstein as the good quality winches that I could afford and budget dictated the Uniforest and I've been very happy with that choice. Also found Hud-son Forest Equipment (sell the Uniforest winches) a great USA business to buy from - which is critical for me being on the other side of the planet. A point reinforced when I later tried to buy log forks from some jackasses who cost me huge amounts of money and time.

Even thought it was 32* out today, we have some serious cold temps coming for next week, so i figured i better get on my "splitting" project!! My splitter has mega power with it's 6" cylinder, it's powered off the tractors hydrauilc remotes,

standard.jpg

And it's getting a good workout with these big blocks!

standard.jpg

There's only a few left to split now, and with below zero temps coming this next week, i'll be burning a lot of wood! Time to skid in a couple more big logs!!

SR

A friend came over today, we skidded out a pretty nice blk. oak,

standard.jpg

It was a ways back in, and the road home had some hard pack snow on it, so i skidded it all the way home, right now the road.

Once home, we cut/split about 2/3's of it,

standard.jpg

Sure glad i have a STRONG splitter! We will get the rest of it another day...

SR

S.R., so you'd rather split wood than mill it? Looks like there would have been a board or two in the black oak!

S.R., so you'd rather split wood than mill it? Looks like there would have been a board or two in the black oak!
Hi Dave,

The logs have been on the ground for some years and as they are VERY big.... (i no longer enjoy milling BIG logs even a little) AND as i could use some firewood, YES i'd rather saw/split/burn those big logs! lol

That blk. oak would have had some decent lumber in it, but it also has a LOT of BTU's in it too! lol It was a freebie a neighbor gave me...

Anyway, i bought 1,120 pounds of coal today,

standard.jpg

I burn about 3 tons a year...

SR

Latest posts

Back