Walnut Firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firewooddave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is Dave and this is my first time posting on your site. So far I have really enjoyed and have learned alot from this site.
My question to all of you is how much is a face cord of walnut firewood going for in Michigan? Also, how good of a wood is walnut? Can I use it all year round or is it a good early/late season wood.

Again thank you very much,

Dave

Welcome to the site! Always nice to see another guy from Michigan around here!

In my limited experience, walnut is good firewood. Not quite on a par with the oaks and the best of the maples, but still very good stuff for year-round use. It seems to take longer to thoroughly dry out than the maples, but not quite so long as oak.

As for price, I would suspect that it would go for about the same price as other good hardwoods - $60-70 per face cord for dry, seasoned wood. I can't see paying more than that, since Oak/Maple/Cherry mixes are going for about that price and walnut doesn't present any advantage over those species that is sufficient to command a higher price.

Hello everyone,

My name is Dave and this is my first time posting on your site. So far I have really enjoyed and have learned alot from this site.
My question to all of you is how much is a face cord of walnut firewood going for in Michigan? Also, how good of a wood is walnut? Can I use it all year round or is it a good early/late season wood.

Again thank you very much,

Dave
Do you have some for sale ?? where r u located,
Thanks Ray

I will be cutting some shortly and I am living in Ashley, about 45 minutes north of lansing. I would say around $50 picked up.

Here is another "Walnut as firewood" thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=40463

My opinion is that Walnut is mediocre to burn. Its a medium hardwood. I would expect to pay a bit less for Walnut than for oak/hickory/ash or comprable 'harder' hardwoods. I am also learning that Walnut may take a bit longer to season (i.e. if its cut in the early spring it is burnable that winter, but ideally you would want to wait another season).

Hope that helps.

Back