Want a bigger carb for your hopped up 372/375?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's strange you'd say that because I know of at least a handful of times in the past where you yourself mentioned how it effected performance and suggested leaving the divider in place.

I know that this has been discussed, but I can't recall who was involved in the discussion.

Anyway, if the divider goes trough the narrowest point of the venturi it should have a slight negative effect on the flow (effective venturi area).
I have never used or looked into one of those carbs, and don't recall exactly what has been said in the past, regarding the divider.

Surely, as I recall it no 385/390 carb has a larger venturi than 17.5 mm (same as the HD-12), while the XT carb is 19.05 or so mm.
Tillotson HS-296 has a 17.48mm venturi, which is very common and came on many 2 series Husqvana saws equipped with Tillotson carbs. The only bigger Tillotson HS series venturi is the HS-294 or HS-295 which only came on the Dolmar 9010. The venturi on those carbs is 18.3mm.

Tillotson HS-296 has a 17.48mm venturi, which is very common and came on many 2 series Husqvana saws equipped with Tillotson carbs. The only bigger Tillotson HS series venturi is the HS-294 or HS-295 which only came on the Dolmar 9010. The venturi on those carbs is 18.3mm.

Fits well with how I recall it - very few HS carbs are more than 17.5 mm, and I don't recall any that are more than 18.3 or so.

These differences may not "sound" like much - but 19.05 mm does of course make a sizable difference in the area of the venturi, once the maths are done.

That said, a large venturi does of course not help unless both enough air and enough fuel is available. Restrictive air filters should be avoided unless really needed, and the carb must be able to supply enough fuel (involves jet size and more).

I assume that most (if not all) posters here know this, but I post it in case someone that doesn't read the thread.

Hi Guys, great thread.
I have a ported 372 xp and was searching for info on doing just this. So perfect.
I'd be interested in the difference you noticed after installing the carb. I assume it pulls a little better in the cut at higher rpm??

Back